Missing peacock gudgeons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Both of my peacock gudgeons are completely MIA from my tank.. I have no signs of any remains either. My only semi CUC are shrimp and I only have neon tetras and a dwarf gourami in my tank.. there is a tight sealed lid and everything.. where could they have gone?

Nope, aqueon quietflow 10.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If there is no possibility of escaping the tank then it comes down to a few options:

1. you can start searching decor/plants to find them or a body.

2. If that fails and there still is no trace of them... Fish will eat dead tankmates. Sad but true. They likely died and were eaten/decomposed.

Caleb

I'm just fascinated by the fact that it was only those two to die. No ammonia spikes at all

Yes, they could have been eaten. Usually when I have a fish die I let my plec eat it and then remove the skeleton.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Still no signs of remains either

Sometimes fish can jump through spaces you would't think possible. Any other pets? Whenever I have a mysterious disappearance I blame it on the fish jumping out and becoming cat sushi.

Yes, they could have been eaten. Usually when I have a fish die I let my plec eat it and then remove the skeleton.

That's actually not good. If the fish had a disease, this can then be transferred over to whatever fish takes a bite. That's why it's best to remove bodies as soon as possible.

Caleb

Never thought of that, though I hate my plec and have been trying to get rid of him.

But I suppose death isnt the best option for that. I feel so dumb now Caleb! Oh well...

I've often "lost" fish and searched for them to no avail, only to have them pop back up long after I had given up hope, one of those being a peacock gudgeon those suckers can hide.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Funny you said that! One turned up today but the other one is still missing.. fascinating to be honest

I also had a peacock gudgeon disappear without a trace: the only fish I have ever had who has done so. I have found bodies/remains for other missing fish. However, this particular fish had previously jumped out of the tank, and I noticed her in time, only because my cat was hovering above her! I joke that my cat saved her life, although it is true: the fish would not have made it if my cat hadn't drawn attention to her. I plopped her back in the tank, assuming she probably wouldn't make it, but she recovered in a few days, only to go missing many months later...

I still have no idea what happened, except that perhaps she jumped out again, and my cat ate her, but I would have thought I would have at least seen a puddle where she jumped or bones that the cat could not digest.

Yeah they really are fascinating fish. I. Can't even find where they could have been hiding.

Very nice tank! But yeah, it doesn't seem like a lot of spaces to disappear...

My gudgeons tended to hide out, but my female never reappeared, and she disappeared months ago. My male gudgeon is now in a tank with some neon tetras, where he has been for about a month (moved from another tank). He does tend to hide, but is starting to come out more.

Back
Top Bottom