MIssing Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xabien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.
I currently have a 33 gallon freshwater tank. I have 3 clown loaches, 3 mollies, 5 black phantom tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, a para pleco and 4 neon tetras because one of them died recently. O went to the lfs for some more fish and came back with 10 cardinal tetras which were quite small. About half an inch. I put them in my tankyesterday and they seemed ok. I looked in my tankl tonight and there are 6 left. There are no remains, they aren't in the filter, i don't think they are hiding. Who is the likely culprit? I think it may have been the clown loaches because I saw them chasing them tonight. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

I have had mixed results with cardinals. Although they are one of my very favorite fish, at least the ones available here on the east coast of the US seem a little delicate. They seem to require pristine water parameters, and prefer soft, acidic water. Most likely they were ailing and the other fish took advantage, eating them without leaving anything behind, as they were very small. Their remains may still be there, and you may find evidence next time you gravel vac or clean the tank. Check your water parameters, because often cardinal deaths may indicate the beginning of problems, much like the canary in the coal mine!

TankGirl said:
I have had mixed results with cardinals. Although they are one of my very favorite fish, at least the ones available here on the east coast of the US seem a little delicate.

I hear this time and time again. It's so odd because my Cardinals are some of my hardiest fish. I'm already a west coast or die girl, but I guess that's one more reason, heh. I just love cardinals, especially when they grow to full size. They are just gorgeous!

I adore them, as well. I currently have one, bless it's little heart! There is only one shop in town that will stock them at all, and the other shops just don't fool with them due to the die-off. Now that my 55 has a lower pH due to the CO2, I would like to try them again, but there is the problem of my lovely adult marble angel....oh well, maybe my next tank!

Back
Top Bottom