mixing Platies and Swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuG

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, in my current tank I have 2 male Platies, which will be moved to my 55 if I ever get around to finishing it.
Now, here's the thing. My son really loves swordtails, and is always tsalking about them. So I think it's only fair that when I stock the 55 I get him the fish he has been asking for. Of course it's the male that he's interested in, because that's the one that has the "sword". So, if I wanted to add females to the mix, would I now be looking at having to get at least 6, because they would also be getting harrassed by the platies, as well as the male sword?
I think I already know the answer, but figured I would find out for sure.
I guess I could stick with just a couple more males, but I'm guessing there might be aggression involved with that.

you would need at least 6 with any social species to keep them happy although i have seen them happily mix with platies and they will cross breed with them too. i have heard male swords can be a bit of a bully though. the thing to remember with livebearers is to keep at least 2 or more female to every one 1 male or keep only one gender to keep things happy and prevent fighting

Back
Top Bottom