Movin' on up from 20 g high to 55 gal-Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
We got a nice "free" plecostomus and its tank from someone who was moving. Upon arrival, this fish is 12" long, in the 24" tank.

Suckers that we are, we feel we need a 55-gal to house our plec properly. Of course we will have to add s'more fish to our new fish palace, but will stock it lightly.

The current 20 g tank has a PF150 on it. Would adding another of these to a 55g tank be sufficient? If not, any suggestions? The 20g has an undergravel filter and air pumps too, which I did not set up, so it's just the Tetra filter on this tank.

Actually I'd suggest a 75g, it's most likely a common pleco and will need the extra width.

Ah, the joys of a bigger tank!

Welcome to AA! With a bigger tank, your filtration options really increase. When you move fish over to the larger tank, move the smaller filter with them. This will prevent or severely limit any ammonia or nitrite spikes as long as you do not add many new fish to the larger tank right at the start.

I like canister filters for 55 gal and above. There are many HOB that are great too. Stay away from filters that take proprietary cartridges, they are not as flexible in function as ones that have compartments that you can use the media of your choice. For HOB's, aquaclears are an AA favorite and frequently recomended.

I Highly recommend the AquaClear 110, you can get it at Petsolutions.com for like $40 delivered. I have several of these from there.

The general opinion seems to be that a 55g is probably not large enough for this fish even at his current size. I was on the fence with a 75g, but it appears that that size tank is not really big enough either. I don't want to take him to the LFS 'cause god knows where he'll end up.

I'm thinking I need to find someone w/a humungous tank that wants a gigantic, run-of-the mill Plec. That should be fun! I hate to do it, we're attached to this fish...

Considering that your tank was free, I can understand how it may be hard to justify rushing out and buying a larger tank and everything that comes along with that. I think you may be ok for now if you stock lightly like you said, but you will need stronger filtration. I would recommend a combination of filters or one powerful cannister like a RENA XP3 or a Fluval 404 coupled with the HOB you already have. Your Pleco is not done growing by any means, so you will have to upgrade down the road. If you get a 150 gal in the future for example, you can transfer your cannister over and just slap on a second one the same size.

OK-we've finalized our plans for "Frederick". Going tonight to get a 55-gal kit from PetsMart and using the current filter and the filter that comes with the kit for now. This will buy us some time to look for a proper home for him. I found someone w/a 90-gallon, but that only buys him 3 more inches of width and I'd like to send him on to a tank that will accomodate him at his maximum size.

We live on the third floor in a 630 square foot condo w/13 cats, a dog and a rabbit, 2 home offices and our kitchen is being remodeled....otherwise I'd be eyeing a 150-180 gallon tank.

Anyway, we're excited to set up the 55, and I'm gonna get the RENA XP3 down the road a bit. Thanks to all for your expert advice!

plecoperson said:
OK-we've finalized our plans for "Frederick". Going tonight to get a 55-gal kit from PetsMart and using the current filter and the filter that comes with the kit for now. This will buy us some time to look for a proper home for him. I found someone w/a 90-gallon, but that only buys him 3 more inches of width and I'd like to send him on to a tank that will accomodate him at his maximum size.

We live on the third floor in a 630 square foot condo w/13 cats, a dog and a rabbit, 2 home offices and our kitchen is being remodeled....otherwise I'd be eyeing a 150-180 gallon tank.

Anyway, we're excited to set up the 55, and I'm gonna get the RENA XP3 down the road a bit. Thanks to all for your expert advice!

13 cats?!?

Back
Top Bottom