Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Movin' on up from 20 g high to 55 gal-Filter?

We got a nice "free" plecostomus and its tank from someone who was moving. Upon arrival, this fish is 12" long, in the 24" tank.

Suckers that we are, we feel we need a 55-gal to house our plec properly. Of course we will have to add s'more fish to our new fish palace, but will stock it lightly.

The current 20 g tank has a PF150 on it. Would adding another of these to a 55g tank be sufficient? If not, any suggestions? The 20g has an undergravel filter and air pumps too, which I did not set up, so it's just the Tetra filter on this tank.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Actually I'd suggest a 75g, it's most likely a common pleco and will need the extra width.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, the joys of a bigger tank!

Welcome to AA! With a bigger tank, your filtration options really increase. When you move fish over to the larger tank, move the smaller filter with them. This will prevent or severely limit any ammonia or nitrite spikes as long as you do not add many new fish to the larger tank right at the start.

I like canister filters for 55 gal and above. There are many HOB that are great too. Stay away from filters that take proprietary cartridges, they are not as flexible in function as ones that have compartments that you can use the media of your choice. For HOB's, aquaclears are an AA favorite and frequently recomended.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
I Highly recommend the AquaClear 110, you can get it at Petsolutions.com for like $40 delivered. I have several of these from there.

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The general opinion seems to be that a 55g is probably not large enough for this fish even at his current size. I was on the fence with a 75g, but it appears that that size tank is not really big enough either. I don't want to take him to the LFS 'cause god knows where he'll end up.

I'm thinking I need to find someone w/a humungous tank that wants a gigantic, run-of-the mill Plec. That should be fun! I hate to do it, we're attached to this fish...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Considering that your tank was free, I can understand how it may be hard to justify rushing out and buying a larger tank and everything that comes along with that. I think you may be ok for now if you stock lightly like you said, but you will need stronger filtration. I would recommend a combination of filters or one powerful cannister like a RENA XP3 or a Fluval 404 coupled with the HOB you already have. Your Pleco is not done growing by any means, so you will have to upgrade down the road. If you get a 150 gal in the future for example, you can transfer your cannister over and just slap on a second one the same size.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK-we've finalized our plans for "Frederick". Going tonight to get a 55-gal kit from PetsMart and using the current filter and the filter that comes with the kit for now. This will buy us some time to look for a proper home for him. I found someone w/a 90-gallon, but that only buys him 3 more inches of width and I'd like to send him on to a tank that will accomodate him at his maximum size.

We live on the third floor in a 630 square foot condo w/13 cats, a dog and a rabbit, 2 home offices and our kitchen is being remodeled....otherwise I'd be eyeing a 150-180 gallon tank.

Anyway, we're excited to set up the 55, and I'm gonna get the RENA XP3 down the road a bit. Thanks to all for your expert advice!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoperson
OK-we've finalized our plans for "Frederick". Going tonight to get a 55-gal kit from PetsMart and using the current filter and the filter that comes with the kit for now. This will buy us some time to look for a proper home for him. I found someone w/a 90-gallon, but that only buys him 3 more inches of width and I'd like to send him on to a tank that will accomodate him at his maximum size.

We live on the third floor in a 630 square foot condo w/13 cats, a dog and a rabbit, 2 home offices and our kitchen is being remodeled....otherwise I'd be eyeing a 150-180 gallon tank.

Anyway, we're excited to set up the 55, and I'm gonna get the RENA XP3 down the road a bit. Thanks to all for your expert advice!
13 cats?!?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe.....!!!!!!!!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best we can do for now-thanks again for all your help!

-Lisa

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...8&limit=recent
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...9&limit=recent

Tags
20 gallon, 55 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com