Moving Fish...Your Opinions Wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm going to be moving at the end of the month, which means that I'll need to take down my 10 gallon tank. As for breaking it down and putting it back together, I shouldn't have too much of a problem (only moving about 10 minutes away), but I have several options in regards to the fish...

The tank currently houses 1 lonely panda cory who will be moving to the five gallon tank next week, 1 lonelier neon tetra who will be finding a new home with some playmates soon, and two black phantom tetras. So basically, the only ones that will still need to be moved by the end of the month are my two nippy black phantom tetras. The options...

Option One
-keep fish in a bucket with an airstone for one-two days

Option Two
- transfer fish to the five gallon tank @ my boyfriend's (one block away) whcih currently contains a male betta and two panda cories for one-two days

Option Three
- transfer fish to the five gallon tank and use a tank divider to keep everyone separated for one-two days

This move is gonna be a little tricky, so I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to set up the tank and make the fish comfortable right away. So I'm wondering what will be the least stressful for my travelling fishies...what say you, fish experts?

If they're only going to need temporary shelter for a day or two, I'd just set up either an air stone or sponge filter in a bucket and keep them in it. I've done this many times and never had any trouble with it.

That's what I thought...but I had visions of them rooming a five gallon fish hotel. And I like making things complicated...the more time I spend planning the fishes' move, the less time I spend packing :D

Thanks!

Move fish last, and tape paper over the glass to keep em from freakin out Set em up first and leave em covered till unpacking is done imo

have fun, i had to move 4 times this summer, it was CRAZY, but all my fishies made the move easily. Just stuck them in a sealable bucket with plants to make them feel safe and kept it in a dark box when moving so they wouldn't stress out so much.

btw, packing is the worst part, so I understand your procrastination :wink:

I recently moved 1000 miles and it took two days to move. I just put all my fish in a large bucket put it in the car and then set up the first tank first when I got to my new location. I didn't bother with an airstone or anything like that cause I just didn't have the money to buy anything new or special to move them. They are all doing quite well and don't seem to have noticed they are in a new state. Which is more than I can say for the cats.

Here is what I would do, this method is pretty bombprood. Stop feeding the fish for a couple days before the move so they will not create much waste. Then put the fish in a CLEAN bucket with an airstone and heater. Keep the bucket dark so the fish will not pick on each other. They can get by just fine for days like that. Once you get the new tank setup, acclimate the fish and feed them :)

Back
Top Bottom