Moving House!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iswearitwasthisbig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, i'm moving out of my unit in a month or so, the problem is however, i have a lot of fish, and a few large tanks to move with me.

I already have my basic strategy, in mind, how i'm going to transport etc, i will be setting up another smaller tank a the new place and breaking it in for the week so i have somewhere to put my 50+ :fish1: until i get the other ones set backup..

My quest here is really just to get any advice from anybody who has done this before. so we're talking things that have gone wrong and how to avoid them? Or helpful hints and tips that might make things easier?

One of my main concerns for example, is my largest tank ways something like 50 kg empty. I don't want to scratch it, bump it or ruin the seals..

Thank you in advance for any input and help, i look forward to any colourful advice (y)

When I moved about a year ago, the last thing I broke down was my aquarium and it was the first thing I setup. But we only moved about 15 minutes away and only had about 10 fish. I took about 50% of the tank water with me, kept the media wet and even left enough water in the tank to keep the gravel wet.

I'd suggest getting a few tubs that can be moved with some water so you can handle them without a lot of backache, or sloshing.

I was planning to leave enough water in to keep the gravel wet, Depending on the weight. I'm also only moving 15 minutes up the road. It hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just haven't had to do it before and i know its going to be stressful on my poor little troopers lol :) So any advice on what to avoid and good methodology is always welcomed.

I just moved 6 tanks to my new house. Thankfully, Petco is having their $1/g sale, so I was able to set up a few more tanks to help me out. The main thing I learned in this move is to keep the bucket covered. I lost 3 fish from jumping that I found dried out on the carpet or the floorboard of my vehicle. I had one other jump out, but caught it in time to pick him up and put him back in the bucket. There's no need to keep any more water than you need to transport the fish. The substrate wont dry up if you're only moving 15 minutes down the road. If it's a smaller tank, leaving the substrate in the tank will be ok. If it's a bigger tank, that might be hard. I moved my 125 with about an inch of substrate, and it almost killed me.

Two other lessons I learned. Don't move a 150g tank by yourself... and lift with your knees, not your back. Trust me when I say that. The heating pad only does so much.

Iswearitwasthisbig said:
I was planning to leave enough water in to keep the gravel wet, Depending on the weight. I'm also only moving 15 minutes up the road. It hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just haven't had to do it before and i know its going to be stressful on my poor little troopers lol :) So any advice on what to avoid and good methodology is always welcomed.

Main thing I did was just move them in plastic tubs (Target, Walmart, etc is good for those) and did them in one run, but you might have to do two given the amount of fish. I also knew exactly where the tank was going, so the move the couch 6 times event wasn't gonna happen lol.

All good advice guys cheers, we don't have Walmart in Australia, allthough i have heard some interestingly boganista stories related to it. I think our
Big-w is your Walmart equivalency.

Anyway, my tank is about 270+ litres which i think equals something like a 70 gallon tank, therefore it is quite heavy when inclusive of substrate with a low level of water.

I think i'll go to Bunnings and get some Tubs and maybe an extra aerator this afternoon. The biggest a annoyance will be the size and type varience with all of my fish.

For example i have oscars in one of my big tanks but small Bolivion Rams in another so i'm going to have to go Tank by tank. I'll keep you posted.

cheers on all the advice :) Mfdrookie516 and Mr.Limpet

Back
Top Bottom