Untreated well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I moved recently I got rid of my big tanks but kept my betta in a 10 gal the new house has well water it's untreated no water softeners it's not very rusty but it has a slight metallic taste to it my questing is will prime be enough to make the water safe for my beta or should I find another water source

I moved recently I got rid of my big tanks but kept my betta in a 10 gal the new house has well water it's untreated no water softeners it's not very rusty but it has a slight metallic taste to it my questing is will prime be enough to make the water safe for my beta or should I find another water source

Get a complete analysis of the water before trying with the fish. Some well water needs to be oxygenated before it's safe for the fish. My neighbor had to do that for his Koi farm but I didn't for my Angelfish hatchery. 2 wells at two different depths. So ya never know. I would not depend on PRIME for metal removal. If it came to it, I would use a Polyfilter Pad to remove the metals from the water if it becomes necessary.
You may need to filter your water through a carbon filter to get rid of that metallic taste.

Fully agree with Andy, get the water tested by a professional water testing company so you know what is in it. The metallic taste could be highly toxic to you, your family and pets. Find out what it is and look into finding a cleaner water source or filtering the one you have.

My honest opinion is that Prime will be enough for a beta. I wish I had well water. I'm convinced that well water and even well water that has been through a water softener is the best thing for an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom