Multiple Layered Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I was reading through my aquarium book the other day and I saw some interesting this. First, the book often suggests using two layers of substrate.

For example, if you had a planted tank, you could use plant friendly substrate on the bottom, the some thing else on top. Then, your plants get fed nicely, and you have a pretty substrate that you see.

Yes I know that you can get pretty "plant friendly" substrates, but that's not my question.

Is this too much of a hassle? How do you keep them separated? What if I wanted to use sand?

It is possible to do. A lot of people like to use the 3M colorquartz stuff as a "cap"

You just have to accept that eventually, over time the 2 different substrates are going to mix together. It's inevitable unless you put a barrier between the two of them, but then you're kinda defeating the purpose.

How long it takes depends on the 2 substrates. Sand, for instance, since it's so small will tend to migrate quicker than something with larger pieces.

Adding to what Neilan said, your gravel vac technique will also determine how long it will stay separate... go too deep with the vac, you can guess what happens.... also, if you have any fish or snails that like to burrow or dig, that'll definitely mix it up as well

Not really sure if this will help but ive used two sub in a lot of my tanks big pebbles ontop of little ones and sand ontop of little pebbles and ive got live plants in both and they are doing great.

as a 3rd point depends also how much you plant and replant the tank too. personally i am not a fan of mixing substrates since i like to move things around a lot. in all my tanks i have done it once.... sms on the bottom with eco on top. i planted the tank with crypts and havent touched it again.

Back
Top Bottom