My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point...I like sponges too. This is a 55 gallon tank that the previous owner was using for a trickle sump. What size sump tank do you have on your 180? Would a 55 be too big or would a different size tank with better dimensions make a better sump? I have an old 29 gallon or could buy a new 40 breeder or something. This tank is in need of a reseal and the bottom plastic support is cracked on the corner. With the dollar a gallon sale coming up that would be a good time to switch. Thanks for the advice too. I just want to do it right the first time and not have to tear stuff down in a year or two.

This stuff held a metal bracket which holds an alternator under much tension/pressure in an engine compartent for a 4x4 truck for 2 years, until a yahoo went off roading like a rock crawler with it in Moab . It should hold a frame together.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-828...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VM0EFMSPPMVRRFMBF8HY

I got the glass polish in. It works GREAT! It will just take a little patience. It removes those hard water stains that I can never get off. The glass is clear after using it. It will get light scratches out easily and deep scratches out but it takes a while for the deep ones. I really just want the deep ones less noticeable not completely gone, that will be ok with me. Got rid of all the haze on the inside of the aquarium. I am extremely pleased. Here is a test piece I polished before and after. IMG_5596.jpgIMG_5597.jpg

I also got my substrate while I was out. $5.99 for 40 pounds. I got three bags to start. I really like the color.IMG_5598.jpgIMG_5600.jpg

That is a pretty good looking result! Keep hearing positive things about the safe-t-sorb, like - why would I want to spend 4x the amount for a useful substrate. Seems like high on upsides and not much of a down side!

I like the color but it will take a lot of rinsing. There are some pieces of clay in the mix that are still soft. It will have to soak for a while to soften them up and rinse. But for $125 dollar difference it is worth the work. I'll get some pics of the soft clay tomorrow.

I like the color but it will take a lot of rinsing. There are some pieces of clay in the mix that are still soft. It will have to soak for a while to soften them up and rinse. But for $125 dollar difference it is worth the work. I'll get some pics of the soft clay tomorrow.

Yes, BIG $$$ difference!!!

Will be interested to see what the soft clay looks like. Somewhere I have a bag/part bag of this, I have only used it for spills! Maybe need to dig it out and see all about it!

My last tank was soil capped with safe t. Used to be real popular. It works fine imo. Yes...dusty lol. I like it better than kitty litter.

Is that STS supposed to be soft? I can crush about 75% of the clay with my fingers. It seems like it will turn to mush real quick. I thought the fired clay was supposed to be hard? This batch must not have been fired very long. I don't think I am going to use it. Anyone else have this problem with STS or any other fired clay or is that the way it is supposed to be? It just seems a little too soft to me.

No clue. It is supposed to be firm I think. Maybe thinking of the cat litter being the hard one. But it is dense, not airy. Hmmm. Maybe I will look for the one lost in my garage this week.

From my experience yes it broke down within the first year. Ive seen others threads say the same thing. Wasnt a huge deal for me.

I just got finished resealing the overflows. There was a sloppy clear silicone job on them. It looks 100% better. I just did the lines on the inside of the tank that you would see all the time. The inside of the overflows could use a redo but I really don't want go that far. I really like the consistency of this Dow 795. It is very easy to work with. I have buffed all the glass also. It got all the hard water stains off. It is starting to look like a new tank. I am very pleased so far. I was kind of worried at first with the condition but it is starting to come together.

Attachments

• IMG_5608.jpg
    IMG_5608.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5620.jpg
    IMG_5620.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 98
I started sanding down the stand and I was thinking of spray painting it black but I kinda like the stand with the finish half sanded off. I could rub it down with some finish oil and leave it distressed looking. What do y'all think? Or go with a traditional black.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpg
    IMG_5623.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 84
I like the black but my wife usually disagrees would like the distressed.lol
Autumnsky is right depends on your decor.

If we're voting definitely distressed, my vote never counts at work, at home, politics, etc. Lol

Possibly go over with a lighter stain? Then the darker stain would show through? Wood is yellow pine though. Not hardwood unfortunately.

Please elaborate. Do you use real coffee or is it a type of stain. Hmmmm...

Real coffee...were poor in the south. Make it as dark or light as ya like. Looks good on pine imo.

Google it...it works

Back
Top Bottom