My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is slick !(y)
Jigs rule when it comes to build..You better patent that one quick..:dance:
Lets think....:whistle: The company name; Baffling Solutions ,the product
The Stabilizer....:lol:

I like to look at reflections in peoples tanks ,but when I get to sneak peaks in people shops/garage I take notes..

Too late bro, i nicked it. . . . .

As far as the Clown Loaches, I don't mind keeping them for years. In fact I would rather enjoy it. Some people keep birds that live for 80 years. There is a sense of accomplishment that goes with longevity too. Oh and that would be a great conversation piece. "Wow nice aquarium!" " Yeah I have had those fish there for 20 years!"

But as far as numbers go what would be a good number for a group of clowns in this size tank? I really want a few Angels also so I would need to account for them too.

I have pride when I get to say how old my fish are..:whistle: What do I know?

The next best thing about clowns is they LOVE their own..You can add more any size ,any time...One buddy of mine killed all his but 1 in a massive substrate change so sent his 8 year old to me...I couldn't tell him by looks or behavior 2 minutes after I added him ! The age range shows how long I took to build my school..6 is decent for starters...They are better then potato chips ,and just like ...Never having just one or two....:lol:

Got the kids off to bed and went out to the shop. Finished taping the baffle and clamped the top of the jig. Ran the beads on one side and smoothed then the other side and smoothed. Then I pulled the tape and released the clamp. There is almost 100% gap fill between the baffle and tank glass. Just a few small air bubbles. I am very pleased with "The Stabilizer". It worked very well. I'll let the silicone cure 24 hours and do the next one. I got neutral cure silicone so it takes a little longer to fully cure.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpg
    IMG_5631.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5634.jpg
    IMG_5634.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 66
You can push the bubbles out if they are bad.
Just pump the silicone through from one side (depends on the gap you've left but tech spec is approx 2mm per Lin meter) at least it was when I was in the game........
To achieve the gap I've used all sorts of things but the best solution is glass packing blocks, suitable for shower screens are best as they are clear but any colour works.
For smaller glass thickness (like the baffles in my reef mod) I used cocktail sticks to lift the glass, but you could equally use a second clamp on the T jig, like the bit that pinches the glass. Then you'd be block free, while blocks work, sometimes, especially if you're a little out of practice, that can cause minor problems.

Smooth both sides and run a final bead over to give a decent finish.
(Aquariums only and then it isn't always necessary)
It's not very resourceful but it was how we finished glass wall partitions, at least until they invented dry joints!

I never went to the effort of taping but I wish I did!

The first baffle I put in was set good enough to remove the brace. Taped and siliconed the second baffle in. Well the first for the sump but the second one I did. I am going to let it cure a while before I remove the blocks below the pane. I am liking this sump so far!!

Attachments

• IMG_5635.jpg
    IMG_5635.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5637.jpg
    IMG_5637.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 66
I was looking at lighting for this tank. It will have some live plants probably low tech type. Which one of these models would be better? The full spectrum has half the watts of the HO. Originally I was looking at Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 SE but I would have to get 2-36" for about $250. This would be a lot cheaper for a 72" fixture. Are the BeamsWork worth a flip or should I get a better fixture?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...92357166&sr=8-1&keywords=BeamsWork&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F...92357085&sr=8-4&keywords=BeamsWork&th=1&psc=1

Someone suggested the hi lumen one for my 40b planted. It should be here next week I'll let you know once I try it out.

I am really torn between these two lights. The BW is $120 with the timer. The two Finnex 36 inch will be $240. I would really like the program of the Finnex 24/7 but that is a lot more money. I think the BW will give a higher par than the 24/7 at the substrate. I just don't know if the Finnex is worth THAT much extra for the fancy daylight cycle.

Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED Pent Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Discus (180cm - 72")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYELCLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Evu9ybMW3SVSY

Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus SE 36" times two
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=36149

But one's going to get you there faster.. beams work is no frills power, finnex let's you tailor the spectrum to make your tank look as you like. Throw high light whites over a sand bed and it's not a pretty tank. I like making the light suit the tank. Vivagrow 247 are decent for the price, won't grow demanding plants in a tall tank though

Yeah the color of the BW I don't think I would like. I have 6500k cfl now and the color is just OK. I really want something with some different spectrums to bring out some color in the tank. Do you think the Vivagrow would work for a low tech set up or would I need the Finnex 24/7? Probably about 21 - 23 inches above the substrate. I think the Finnex has a little better par but there is still a $150 difference between the Vivagrow and Finnex. Two Vivagrow 36 inch at 47 bucks each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291688154423

I think vivagrow would work. Seen some on another forum. Kinda like a better stingray.

Back
Top Bottom