My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good in the cabinet..
I always throw a fernco rubber fitting in along the way to help eliminate noise from vibrations and allow the little bit of give any piece of glass would appreciate...
Nice and neat there...

It won't be long!!! I redid the plumbing. I had leaks and I could not get the durso drains right. I added a full siphon Herbie overflow in each overflow and ran the return over the back of the tank.

Attachments

• Image1496800342.503472.jpg
    Image1496800342.503472.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 75
Update time!!

I got the sponges in from Angels Plus for the sump. Those guys are awesome. I ordered the foam cut to fit and it works great. Only problem is I wish I had ordered more. I then cleaned out my canister filter from my 45 and seeded the sump real good. I added ammonia to about 1.0 ppm on Sunday. I am going to test later tonight to see how the cycle is progressing.

I just picked up the filters today from my LFS and got them installed and fired up.

Next on the list is getting some glass cut for the tops and getting some sand. My LFS didn't get the sand in I wanted so I am gonna Amazon Prime 150 pounds of Sunset Gold by Caribsea pretty soon.

Tank is coming along nicely! The drains I have set up are totally silent also. I should upload a video so you can see. I can't believe it. I tinkered with it for a week until I got everything dialed in.

As far as stocking I wanted a lot of color so I was leaning towards Peacocks but the wife said she wanted a lot of small schooling fish and not a species only tank. So to compromise for color and small schools I have decided on Discus and tetras. She just doesn't know yet. LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5737.jpg
    IMG_5737.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 71
Showing off...

Just wanted to upload a video if my drainage system. I really like it and it is QUIET!! I have a full siphon with a backup drain in each overflow. I ran the return over the back of the tank. It works perfect. I am running about 600 gallons per hour through it now. If I open the Mag 9.5 wide open the water level rises and the water falling in the overflow gets considerably more noisy. I dont like the high water level with the pump wide open either.

The cycle is progressing nicely!!

IMG_5812.jpg

I also got some river rock when we went camping last weekend. Very nice aged rock with lots of dark stains on it. Substrate will be in next week. I went with Caribsea Sunset Gold Super Naturals Sand.

Image1498305893.839122.jpg
Image1498305980.050536.jpg

I got a little more done on the build. I bought two 36" Finnex Planted+ SE a little while ago when they were on sale at Dr. F&S. I originally was going to set them up with the legs sitting on top of the glass but I always knocks the lights around when opening the tops to feed. So I came up with an idea to hang them. It cost about 7 bucks and is fully adjustable!! I turned the brackets upside down that came with the lights and looped chains around the openings for the bolt that holds the "feet" on the light. Screwed some hooks into the hood and presto!! I am getting some glass cut at my local glass shop and I am going to make sliding glass tops. No lights will be anywhere in the way during feeding time. The glass won't hit the lights either with the sliding tops.
IMG_5824.jpg
IMG_5823.jpg
IMG_5825.jpg
Here is a shot below if the transformer boxes of the Finnex stuck to the wall with Velcro. It worked great! You can also see the new Inkbird temperature controller that I installed. Also stuck to the stand with Velcro. I really like that thing but the probe is a little touchy where the connection is. It will give a probe error if you move the wire too much.
IMG_5822.jpg
Here is a shot with the lights on max. I have the sand on the back porch. Caribsea Supernaturals Sunset Gold. I'll get it in tomorrow hopefully and update with some pics. I got two 50# bags. I'll see how it looks and then determine if more is needed.
IMG_5826.jpg

Sand should look great with the stones too. Maybe consider a few medium stones, small pebbles to scater around when you are done adding sand, moving stones, putting in plants, etc. to give it the streambed like in nature look. That will be a wonderful tank to watch!

Where did you order your sand? I'm looking for substrate for my new aquarium too.

Amazon. I tried to shop local at my LFS but after 2 months of waiting I gave up. $35 a bag with free standard shipping with a Prime account. It shipped directly from Caribsea.

Awesome. I will have to check it out. I have been having a hard time finding exactly what kind of substrate I want, and after having gravel in my 20 I want to do sand in my 37 gallon.

I went and picked up the glass for the sliding covers. It is 3/16. It works really good. I like the sliding glass tops ALOT better than the hinged ones. The glass slides all the way back and with the lights suspended there is nothing in the way. Anyone who is annoyed with those hinged tops should do this. No more slamming lids when you open the top and reach for the flakes. That always gave my fish a heart attack. They are patiently waiting on me to feed them and then BAM the lid slams shut.
IMG_5829.jpg
IMG_5830.jpg
IMG_5828.jpg

I worked on rinsing the sand this afternoon a little but it is gonna take a while. The Sunset Gold is the color I wanted and the texture I wanted also. It is just really dirty.

I went and picked up the glass for the sliding covers. It is 3/16. It works really good. I like the sliding glass tops ALOT better than the hinged ones. The glass slides all the way back and with the lights suspended there is nothing in the way. Anyone who is annoyed with those hinged tops should do this. No more slamming lids when you open the top and reach for the flakes. That always gave my fish a heart attack. They are patiently waiting on me to feed them and then BAM the lid slams shut.
View attachment 300874
View attachment 300875
View attachment 300876

I worked on rinsing the sand this afternoon a little but it is gonna take a while. The Sunset Gold is the color I wanted and the texture I wanted also. It is just really dirty.

Can you do a thread showing how you made it a sliding top? I routinely give the fish the slam top experience :blink:

You have regular Caribsea Naturals, not the Instant Aquarium variety?

Does it have the fine particle binder liquid additive, (can't think of what it's called atm)? That stuff works really well.

Can you do a thread showing how you made it a sliding top? I routinely give the fish the slam top experience :blink:

You have regular Caribsea Naturals, not the Instant Aquarium variety?

Does it have the fine particle binder liquid additive, (can't think of what it's called atm)? That stuff works really well.

The sand is dry not live. It is very soft and has a nice texture. Caribsea Sunset Gold.

Here is the link to the thread explaining how to do the sliding tops. I used 3/16 glass though. It is a lot more sturdy than 1/8.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums#/topics/42194

Back
Top Bottom