My Bushy Nose Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeSD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon aquarium with a lot of goldfish. A couple fish are 6". Most are in the 2 1/2" range. The tank also has/had two Bushy Nose Pleco. The largest one was 5". The smaller one about 3".

This tank has been problem free since set up over 6 months ago. No fish have died.

But this week brought a mystery. My wife got tired of seeing algae build up on the tank decorations. Glass and bottom were fine. When she carefully took the objects out, we noticed both pleco were missing. We carefully checked all the objects to make sure they hadn't gotten inside them where we couldn't find them. Nope not in the ornaments. And they were too large to go up the pump intake.

I have looked everywhere and both are gone. At this point, I figured they might have died. But I find it hard to believe even dead pleco wouldnt leave a trace after a couple weeks (last noticed). I have even looked on the floor in back of tank to see if there was some way they jumped out. Pleco dont seem like jumpers.

Have you ever seen large fish go missing without a trace?

The goldfish ate them. Depending on how many and how big the goldfish are they could have it gone in a matter of minutes. Bristlenose plecs aren't that big so even small gold fish could have them gone over night with no trace.

My wife has been calling the llevo, "housekeepers". I guess the goldfish are the housekeepers.

I just hope they cleaned up an already dead llevo. Hope they didnt kill them. But at least the mystery is solved.

This is the tank.

goldfish_640.jpg

What’s your filter. I have a hang on the back filter that’s inside the tank and my Bristlenose used to hide in there.

Back
Top Bottom