my goldfish in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know goldfish are supposed to have a 20 gallon but i have mine in a 10 from back when i didnt know much about them and he hasnt outgrown it. Its just him and shrimp in the tank and ive had him for around 3 or 4 years and he seems to have stopped growing at around 3 inches. I know they can get baseball size. Mine is proportional and healthy from what i can tell. Why do you think he has stopped growing?

Is it a common, comet, or fancy goldfish?

That probably means he's stunted. The tank isn't big enough for him so he's stopped growing. I don't know if that will affect his health or life at all, but I would suggest a bigger tank with a lot of extra filtration.

Oh i forgot its a fantail. And i cant have anymore tanks. Hes not deformed but if he is stunted he'll probably live shorter. Idk if goldfish are one of those fish that "grow to the size of the tank theyre in" without getting deformed or not.

You should get a bigger tank - he is stunted and even though he looks healthy, his internal organs will continue to grow but since he's in a small tank, his body won't grow to the size he's meant to be. Stunting will cause a slow painful death for the fish do if you don't plan on buying a bigger tank, I would rehome him

He is stunted. Goldfish do the greatest amount of growing in their first 2-3yrs of life. Unfortunately, this does not fair well for your fish. His body may have stopped growing but the organs do not & will likely lead to his premature demise. :(

If i buy a bigger tank can it get better or will is the damage already done? And has it been proven that the organs will keep growing bc there is alot of conflicting info going around.

Oh i forgot its a fantail. And i cant have anymore tanks. Hes not deformed but if he is stunted he'll probably live shorter. Idk if goldfish are one of those fish that "grow to the size of the tank theyre in" without getting deformed or not.

The 'grow to the size of the tank' is a well propogated myth in goldfish lore. Its fancified version of what happens in reality by a fish being stunted by inadequate housing.

Back
Top Bottom