My New Friends!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, the last several days I've watched my tank closely. It seemed to have finish cycling and I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. After 3 months of fishless cycling, I was READY for some friends. :brows:
So, I decided to make my way to the LFS and acquire some Long Finned Serpae Tetras. They only had 8, so I took them all. Although there may be one or two in there that are not the long finned variety but that's okay. I'm really satisfied with them. They are so cute.
Anyway, while I was there they had 4 BGRs. I told myself I wasn't going to get these just yet, but they are a little hard to find and they usually don't carry them through the winter months. At least that is what I was told, that they were seasonal. So.......(clears throat) I decided to get them. I know...I know....You're thinking I'm stupid for not waiting, but ohhhhhhhh how I've wanted these for so long. It didn't take too much convincing from the LFS employee for me to take them home. Supposedly, there are 3 females and 1 male, but I'm really not sure how to tell them apart.
After drip acclimating them, I got them to their "new" home. They all seemed a little shy and I think the 40 gal seemed a little large to them at first. By the end of the evening, the tetras were zooming around. Really fun to watch. And the GBRs seemed to have settled in. I have a very large rock cave with holes and they are already fighting for territory. I know I'll need to keep and eye on them as they were not like that in the store. So, hopefully they will find their places and get along. I'll have to post pics later. Didn't get my pics downloaded, but got a few good shots (I think)
I re-checked my water this morning and everything is still looking good. I know they haven't been in there for 24 hrs yet, but I'm a little nervous. I really don't want to lose any of the little guys.:fish1:

Congrats! Because you did a fishless cycle (assuming you dosed to 4ppm) your BB will be able to handle the bio load from those fish. But as usual, keep an eye on your params. Can't wait for pics! (y)

Congrats! Because you did a fishless cycle (assuming you dosed to 4ppm) your BB will be able to handle the bio load from those fish. But as usual, keep an eye on your params. Can't wait for pics! (y)

Thanks!
Yes, I was dosing to 4ppm, so hopefully I'll be good. The only thing that worries me is my ammo. It was less than .25ppm this morning (almost the bright yellow but not quite) But, I do have ammo in my tap water (1ppm), so hopefully tonight there won't be any ammo. Everything else was great. My PH was 7.6. Trites were 0ppm and Trates were between 10 and 20ppm. :dance:

swimwithme said:
Thanks!
Yes, I was dosing to 4ppm, so hopefully I'll be good. The only thing that worries me is my ammo. It was less than .25ppm this morning (almost the bright yellow but not quite) But, I do have ammo in my tap water (1ppm), so hopefully tonight there won't be any ammo. Everything else was great. My PH was 7.6. Trites were 0ppm and Trates were between 10 and 20ppm. :dance:

As you know just keep an eye on it all and lots of little PWC instead of one big one with the ammonia in the tap water :)

Ok, so far water params are still looking good.
0 Ammo, 0 trItes, 20 trAtes, PH 7.6

Here a few pics I took. Hope you enjoy! :fish1:

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 102
  • P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010069.jpg
    P1010069.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010070.jpg
    P1010070.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 97
Beautiful fish! I think you made great choices. (y)

I'm curious, could you do a whole tank shot? Your tank looks really pretty judging by the close-up shots.

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with my chosen fish so far. :cool:

LyndaB: Yes, I will try to get a full tank view and upload tomorrow, although you may not see too many fish...haha! They like to hide in all the crevices and two caves under the rock.

Ok for those who wanted to see my tank...Here ya go....

Just one thing.......No comments if you don't like it :D

Attachments

• P1010073.jpg
    P1010073.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010074.jpg
    P1010074.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 79
  • P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 79
That looks great! Thanks for sharing. :D

Thanks Lynda. I think I re-arranged my tank 100 times before I finally got my fish. :)

I have a few live plants in there that I got from Severum-Mama, and I'll probably start exchanging the fake plants with more live plants if these keep doing well. It's a work in progress.

I still want those kuhli loaches, so I'm gonna have to get them another place to hide. And I still need to get some corys, but in due time.

Stay tuned....:popcorn:

kuhli loaches are amazing in my opinion, i love their "dance" i have heard that kuhlis are sensitive to nitrAte and ammonia paramiters, IMO make sure your tank doesnt go through a mini cycle, aka wait a little while to get the loaches. they are so worth it :) i have 5 in my 60g. every morning i wake up to all 5 of them "dancing" :highlight of my day: :)

** your tank is beautiful!!!
- good luck and have enjoy your awesome friends

Back
Top Bottom