My new neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feed both types of food, alternate what days you feed each. They'll appreciate the variety.

I can't recall if you've mentioned your ammonia reading or not, but ammonia can cause your water to be a milky looking cloudy. Algae can cause it to be a greenish shade of cloudy. Sometimes there are particulates from your water source that cause a problem. The cure depends on the problem.

What is your current reading for ammonia?
Any live plants?
How long do you leave your lights on each day?
Does your tank get any sunlight?

I have a fluval u2 filter. What if anything can i put in it to make my water crystal clear?

If youre cycling a tank then it will more than likely be a bacterial bloom which is good. It will clear by itself given time. Adding chemicals to clear water is a very bad idea indeed.

I can't recall if you've mentioned your ammonia reading or not, but ammonia can cause your water to be a milky looking cloudy. Algae can cause it to be a greenish shade of cloudy. Sometimes there are particulates from your water source that cause a problem. The cure depends on the problem. What is your current reading for ammonia? Any live plants? How long do you leave your lights on each day? Does your tank get any sunlight?
Ammonia reading as of today was 0.25mg/l. Yes i have live plants. My lights are prob on 10 hours a day. No direct sunlight. I have a little problem with diatoms. My water is pretty clear tbh but I was looking for ways to improve it

I will look into it first but id like to get more schoaling fish first, add more colour to the aquarium. I like cherry barbs but want to let my tank mature more. Good news ive just done a water change (about 20litres) and refilled and cleaned, then fed my neons and they are beginning to feed from the surface :)
Check out "red-eye tetras". They are silver, black, and red and are a nice contrast to the neon's blue and red. Mine are a little bigger than my neons. Mine like to shoal just like the neons and are active swimmers.

My neons hang near the bottom, sometimes venture to the middle, but never go to the top. Even during feeding. The red-eyes usually stay in the middle, but go up or down whenever.

I would cut back on the lighting to 8 hours a day for now. Will still be plenty for the plants, will help with diatoms. The ammonia is probably your culprit and it should clear once you're cycled.

I would cut back on the lighting to 8 hours a day for now. Will still be plenty for the plants, will help with diatoms. The ammonia is probably your culprit and it should clear once you're cycled.

Even at that low level of ammonia? I thought that reading was ok

It's likely the issue is the algae bloom rather than the ammonia, hence cutting back your lighting to curb the diatoms and algae growth.

It's likely the issue is the algae bloom rather than the ammonia, hence cutting back your lighting to curb the diatoms and algae growth.
I will buy two nerites today and limit the light for a few days and see if it makes a difference

As my tank is still new, should I be adding more beneficial bacteria after 20% water changes. Which I do every 3 days

Back
Top Bottom