Nano Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for a recommendation for a nano fish species. The smaller, the better, because I want to put it in a tank with red cherry shrimp.

Nano fish needs:
- Unable to eat adult RCS
- Roughly 1", or smaller (5-gallon tank)
- Non-schooler
- Mid-to-top swimmer (to not interfere with RCS)
- Not a livebearer (I don't want a population explosion)

Last edited:
I should specify that I'd like the nano fish to be a mid-to-top swimmer, as the bottom of the tank is the domain of my RCS. The idea behind this nano fish addition is to make the tank interesting at all levels.

However, it is a small tank. Therefore, I don't want a species that I'd need more than two of (i.e. no schoolers).

There are also scarelt badis, sparkling gouramis, ember tetras, Microrasbora erythromicron and kubotai. As well as green neons. :)

Oops, you ninja-ed me!
Anway, a pair of least killi, pygmy killis or clown killis perhaps. They are top dwellers.
BTW, how big is the tank?

Are any of these fish under 1" long? It is a 5-gallon tank, so even a 1-2" fish is probably too big (considering it would be sharing its home with RCS).

boraras brigittae are under 1", and spend most of their time schooling in the mid to top levels of the tank. I think you could have a school of 8-10 in a 5 gal with no trouble.

boraras brigittae are under 1", and spend most of their time schooling in the mid to top levels of the tank. I think you could have a school of 8-10 in a 5 gal with no trouble.

Even with all of the RCS I've got? I have something like 12 adult RCS and another 40 babies!

I don't think there would be any issue. Bioload of RCS is minimal, and so are these fish. I had to see them for myself to truly appreciate just how small they are. Great for nano tanks...

I agree. In a 5g tank, IMO you would be fine with a school of any of the suggested fish. The M. erythromicron school toward the top too. The killis definitely do. I totally agree with Fort about the chili rasbora too. They are seriously tiny.
I suggest looking up the killis. They are pretty cool. Home has the clown killis right now I believe. :)

Back
Top Bottom