need another i.d for white hair growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My driftwood also seems to have white hair growing underneath it...is this some kind of algae or mold? btw, the black lines on the wood is thread I used to tie down a bunch of moss.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 99
  • hair 2.jpg
    hair 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 115
Here's a better pic. Fuzz algae...indicative of poor water quality or acceptable to leave alone?

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 106
I haven't had driftwood but I remember reading that it isn't unusual for new driftwood to have this type of "growth". It shouldn't be harmful to the tank. Try scrubbing it off during a water change and it should "burn itself out" soon. It may not be algae; it may be some substances in the wood leaching out.

Just a little bacterial bloom, syphon or scrub it off as An t-iasg has suggested.

Boiling my wood seems to have done the trick initially. It may well be harmless but why risk it if dropping it in a pot of boiling water for a minute will kill the stuff?

well, I could boil the wood, but it's currently occupied by a number of plants and moss tied to it. I'll try to take care of it with the syphon during the next pwc. thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom