Need help determining type of fish to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I am looking at the SeaClear 40Gal tank. The dimensions are 36Lx15Wx16H. Has anyone had any experience with the acrylic tanks? I have young child and need something a little more "sturdy" and secure in case she were to fall into it (no, not directly). :fish2:

Also, I think I really like the Honey Gouramis and the [FONT=&quot]Boesemani Rainbow.
Will these be ok together? Was thinking 3 to 4 each. Probably 1:3 ratio of male/female for each.
[/FONT] I will also probably get some red cherry shrimp.
What other fish would go well? Or would my tank be stocked at this point? I like the mickey mouse platys but really don't want alot of breeding fish as I don't want to worry about the fry.

Also I really like the look of sand over gravel. Can this be used with the fish I am referring to? I have read that sand can be easier and most prefer it due to gravel having voids where waste can collect. It just looks better IMO.

Thanks everyone!:)

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Sand under gravel is fine. I have no experience with rainbows. Honeys should be fine. They are very cute little fish. I am considering getting a few of them myself.
Corys would be good in your tank too. Not sure about the shrimp, they might get eaten. Keeping smallish shrimp with fish seems to be a gamble, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
If you want the platy but no babies, just get all males. They will get along fine and can't make babies!

Boesmani rainbows do best in a fifty five gallon tank for a proper school of five to six because they get big and are very active fish.

Honey DGs are fine as well. I have kept different combos of sexes and they all worked fine IME.

Boesmani rainbows do best in a fifty five gallon tank for a proper school of five to six because they get big and are very active fish.

Honey DGs are fine as well. I have kept different combos of sexes and they all worked fine IME.

all I've read about the rainbows state that they get about 3 inches. not true???

Ok, did a little extra research and answers range from 3 to 5 inches, so not sure what to think on that.

Sand under gravel is fine. I have no experience with rainbows. Honeys should be fine. They are very cute little fish. I am considering getting a few of them myself.
Corys would be good in your tank too. Not sure about the shrimp, they might get eaten. Keeping smallish shrimp with fish seems to be a gamble, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
If you want the platy but no babies, just get all males. They will get along fine and can't make babies!

what about only sand??

Back
Top Bottom