Need help - High nitrate and GH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aprilann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not sure where to post this but I am in need of help. My gh and nitrates are high in my tank. Ive tried everything I know of to bring it down. I tested my tap water and it comes out with high gh and nitrates. Idk what else to do and I dont want my fish and snails to die. Can someone please help me

Can you give some details on the tank please?

Freshwater or saltwater?

Size?

What do you have living in there?

What is your normal water change schedule?

Is it an established tank or new? How long has it been set up?

If new, is it cycled? How did you cycle the tank?

What are your water parameters exactly? Both in the tank and from your tap? What are you using to do your tests?

Are you seeing any ill health in your fish and snails to cause you to worry or is it purely some perceived issue resulting from your water testing alone?

Anything you can think of to add may be relevant.

On the face of it, nitrate isnt all that of an issue and get quite high without being an issue for fish health. Its also pretty common to have nitrate in your tap water.

GH again may not be an issue. Maintaining steady water parameters without it swinging about is more important than trying to attain what you might consider ideal. If you bought your fish locally, they are likely bred and raised in similar water to whats coming out of your tap so are well acclimated to it.

The nitrate is showing over 100. The tank has been up for 6months or more. Its fresh water. My fish are skirt tetras which usually are always at the top swimming around and now they are at the bottom. I do about a 30 percent change every weekend. And about 50% every month to month and a half. The tap water shows over 100 also on nitrates. I do have lighting. Its only a 30 gallon. I have sj wave 6 in 1 testing strips.

If your water is 100+ from the tap you either need to go very heavily planted so the plants can soak up the nitrates or stop using your tap water and switch to filtered RO water.

Are you on mains supply or is it a well? 100ppm nitrate is incredibly high. Are you drinking that?

Back
Top Bottom