NEED HELP! Nitrates are always high!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Set up:
55 gallon, Gravel, Fluval 405 (full bio), 10 mid light plants(small), Basic tropical fish.

Ammonia, pH, and Nitrites are perfect, but I continuously have a high nitrate level and black algae. This has been going on for a year now and I keep losing fish here and there when, I guess they cant take it anymore. Every level, including the nitrates, coming from my tap is perfect so the issue is in the aquarium. My media is 4 months old.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated!

How often are you opening up your Fluval canister and cleaning it? Is the same media been in there for 4 months? If so there is where your nitrates are coming from. I run 4 Fluval 406's on my 220g alone and if I don't keep on a strict 3 week cleaning schedule I see an increase in nitrates.

How often are you opening up your Fluval canister and cleaning it? Is the same media been in there for 4 months? If so there is where your nitrates are coming from. I run 4 Fluval 406's on my 220g alone and if I don't keep on a strict 3 week cleaning schedule I see an increase in nitrates.

Clearly not often enough. Since the ppm is so high should I completely empty the canister and clean everything and refill with tap? I have heard that usung tao kills all healthy bacteria.

I had a high nitrate problem too. I started taking my aquaclear filter sponge out once a week and give it a good beating over the bucket. Just squeezing it out in a bucket of tank water wasn't getting it clean. I also clean the whole filter every couple of weeks. Now that the water is warmer I am getting a lot of sludgy growth in the filter. Doing this has kept my nitrates at around 10 sometimes 20.

Clearly not often enough. Since the ppm is so high should I completely empty the canister and clean everything and refill with tap? I have heard that usung tao kills all healthy bacteria.

I don't know what media you use but one of my baskets has bio-media which is the only thing I don't rinse ever! That is where a ton of your BB is at. Other wise I replace the 100% polyfill I use and rinse all the sponges till they rinse clear under running tap water. This has never caused any B-blooms and keeps everything clean enough to keep nitrates down. Those sponges are the culprits IMO for holding the detris that causes nitrates to rise.

I do not mean to high jack your thread Fender but I have a question for Rivercats. Does the polyfill work better? I hate the big sponge that comes with the aquaclear. I added a course filter pad before it and a polishing pad after but the big sponge constantly clogs up. I was wondering if I could use something else and just replace it regularly without hurting my bacteria. I have the bioball things that I never rinse. I even added extra to have on hand to seed other tanks

I don't use that filter but if the polyfill can be stuffed in then it can be used instead of the sponge. I just watch to see when the polyfill looks dirty and then change it out. As long as you have bio media it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom