Need help with light.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to upgrade/change my light. I have a 55 gallon with basic tropical fish and looking to add 4-5 low mid plants. I have been somewhat intrigued by LED fixtures due to look cost and efficiency, but am concerned that it won't supply the appropriate light to keep plants. The other fixture I was looking at was the Aqueon T5 normal output. Any help is appreciated since its been a struggle to decide.

Not a light for fish haha. It's a reptile fluorescent that I had left over from when I had turtles in that tank. It's worked fine as a full in, but slowly upgrading my aquarium now as I'm able to get money and this light causes shadows and really isn't meant for what I have now.

Depending on what it is, you may be able to just change the bulbs and get the light level you are looking for.

Definitely. My main issue is length though and getting those shadows on both sides of the tank. So I was thinking of getting a longer fixture and if I'm going to do that then I want to get a light that is going to be appropriate for what I have now but will be good for upgrading inside the tank.

Lighting Your 55 G

I need to upgrade/change my light. I have a 55 gallon with basic tropical fish and looking to add 4-5 low mid plants. I have been somewhat intrigued by LED fixtures due to look cost and efficiency, but am concerned that it won't supply the appropriate light to keep plants. The other fixture I was looking at was the Aqueon T5 normal output. Any help is appreciated since its been a struggle to decide.

Hello Fender...

Low light plants will do fine with a single, 6500K, 48 inch, T12 bulb. These are 40 watt, floresent bulbs you can get at any hardware store for $10.00. You're limited to Anubias and Java fern on the bottom of the tank and Anacharis (Waterweed) and Pennywort floated. But, these make for a nicely planted tank.

If you want higher tech, I'd suggest looking at Solarmax lighting. This brand combines T5 bulbs and LED lighting. This will allow you to have more of a variety of plants. A 48 inch set up will run close to $90.00, but a very good light.

B

Go with t5s if tge cost is reasonable. The efficiency is much better than than t12 bulbs so you get more light per watt and have more choice in terms of plant selection. T12s and leds tend to have poor light penetration so the amount of light hitting the tank floor is very low and will only worsen if you add floating plants

I've seen some tanks light setup on youtube using clip on lights from wallmart and compact fluorescent bulbs. Looks great and in terms of light it works really well. The clamps need to to have rubber grips so tbey don't damage the glass and you wont be able to put a lid on the tank but its cheap and easy to do if your on a budget.

Back
Top Bottom