Need help with my pleco situation.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently decided on a rubber pleco (rubber nose, bulldog). The type i wanted was the black spotted bulldog (L187a). I phoned the lfs, they informed me they had some stock coming, so i went a purchsed one, the only prob was when i got home i realised i had a white spotted bulldog (L187).

I went back and told them the situation, they said they would swap it for me. (they didnt actually have the L187a, but said they will order me one (apparently they cost twice the price! but nvm)

I really want the black spotted bulldog, but am growing fond of my white spotted bulldog!! If i had to choose one it would be the black spotted, but i am considering getting the black, aswell as keeping the white spotted.

Is this a good idea? Im sure they will be ok while they are small, but when they get bigger will they be too cramped? Also will they fight?

(sorry about my winded approach to the question, just thought i'd explain the situation! :) )

TIA.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/chaetost/308_4.PHP
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/chaetost/57_1.PHP

i personally like the white spotted one, but that is just my taste :) i think you could reasonably keep a second one in your tank. but it would be pretty well stocked after that. the loaches get to about 3" each, the shark to about 6", and the 2 plecos to about 5". not sure about the gouramis though. you would have to keep up with VERY regular water changes due to the heavy bioload.

i'm a big pleco fan--i'd say go for it. JMO!!!!!

The dwarf gouramis i think are full grown, the female is about 1.5" and the male is just over 2". I could always upgrade to an external filter later, when they are full grown to help with maintenance too. How long to you think it would take for the plecos to reach adult size? Who knows, by then i might have purchased a larger tank to put them in! :D

it kind of depends on the plecos. my smaller ones actually are growing faster than the ones destined to be larger. how big are they now? i would give it a year or 2 before they attain their full size--and they might not max out at the recorded size. they may be smaller.

My white spotted pleco is exactly 4cms! So pretty tiny!

btw the picture of the black spotted bulldog isnt great, what made me want a black spotted, was the full grown version in a display tank at my lfs, its fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom