Need opinions on my vacation plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We are leaving for 3 weeks in Jun/Jul. I have 5 tanks going at the moment. Yes I am a newbie struck with MTS. LOL.

My tanks and stock:
10 gallon ISO tank with a cycled aquaclear 20 filter: 5 neon tetras, 10 black neon tetras

28 gallon tank with an aqua clear 50 also cycled (4 cory cats, 5 red eyed tetra, 1 lonely lonely black neon, 6 neon tetra)

My sons 20 gallon with a mostly cycled aqua clear 20 and currently 9 glo light danios. It might have 9 glo tetras soon as well.

5 gallon betta tank.

I also have a 75 gallon with an eheim filter that is (hopefully) in the end stages of cycling.

I have a friend coming to care for house/dogs/hermit crabs and fish so I thought it might be a good idea to get all of the fish (besides the betta) into the 75 gallon. Put the cycled aqua clear sponges and rocks in the eheim filter.

Then let the other tanks run empty with new sponges so the water is cycling. Then she only has to contend with 2 tanks. Unless the 75 won't need a water change. I know that Picky (the betta) will have to have them while we are gone.

Does that all sound possible? Ideas? Opinions? The other option was a service but that seems unnecessary with an empty 75 gallon.

Thanks
Jana

We are leaving for 3 weeks in Jun/Jul. I have 5 tanks going at the moment. Yes I am a newbie struck with MTS. LOL.

My tanks and stock:
10 gallon ISO tank with a cycled aquaclear 20 filter: 5 neon tetras, 10 black neon tetras

28 gallon tank with an aqua clear 50 also cycled (4 cory cats, 5 red eyed tetra, 1 lonely lonely black neon, 6 neon tetra)

My sons 20 gallon with a mostly cycled aqua clear 20 and currently 9 glo light danios. It might have 9 glo tetras soon as well.

5 gallon betta tank.

I also have a 75 gallon with an eheim filter that is (hopefully) in the end stages of cycling.

I have a friend coming to care for house/dogs/hermit crabs and fish so I thought it might be a good idea to get all of the fish (besides the betta) into the 75 gallon. Put the cycled aqua clear sponges and rocks in the eheim filter.

Then let the other tanks run empty with new sponges so the water is cycling. Then she only has to contend with 2 tanks. Unless the 75 won't need a water change. I know that Picky (the betta) will have to have them while we are gone.

Does that all sound possible? Ideas? Opinions? The other option was a service but that seems unnecessary with an empty 75 gallon.

Thanks
Jana
I know it sounds like a daunting task, but leave the fish where they are and tell her how much to feed and what to feed in each tank. Moving the fish isn't always a good idea. Do you have someone to clean the tanks while you will be away?

That is the problem. It is a friend/petsitter that would be cleaning the tanks as well (since we do it ourselves) and she has no fish :/ and will feed them more than I say.

What do you guys do for extended vacations? I know that I can possibly go 2 weeks w/out a water change and feed minimally but I can't imagine 3.

You couldn't have your friend cone by and feed the fish for a few days before you leave so you can show him/her exactly what to do?

I can. I just figured one tank would be easier than 4 for her. I'll see how she takes the information and go from there. I have until late June do there is time to plan thank goodness. :)

Just get one of those prescription pill cases with the different compartments for each day and have your friend feed them 2-3 times a week only with the premeasured amounts. If the tanks are cycled I'd just forego the water changes till you get back.

Agreed... leave very minimal amounts of food, hide everything except what's in the pill reminder. If you're pretty well stocked and overly concerned about water changes, find some way to measure out some prime to dose once every 2-3 days during that last week.

I am two weeks out from leaving for 17 or 18 days.

I will do the pill sorters with food for each tank. I think we will have 3 tanks so hopefully it won't be bad. I will leave extra prime and show her what to do in case of emergency water change (are there signs to look for other than gasping at the surface for air and red gills)?

I'll give the tanks a really good cleaning before we go I am going to see what the water tests read at the end of 2 weeks so I know what may happen.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom