Need QT Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had good QT success by dosing in a non-planted 10gal when I have to get fish from the LFS.

But now I got some mystery snails. What should I do about QT'ing them? It seems like they could have some Ich in the water that comes in them; not the bag, I dump that down the sink, but I mean just the fact that they are wet when I put them in the tank. Should I use a treatment, or just wait? The QT tank has no fish, just plants and the snails. The plants are potted so I could take them out to dose if needed. I use Mardel's CopperSafe in my QT when I'm QTing fish.

I like dosing for QT because it fits reduces the QT time to within the LFS 14 day guarantee. Either the fish are dead by then or they are going to make it.

Two weeks without a fish host will kill ich. I would leave him in QT for 3 weeks alone and it should be fine to add him to your tank after that.

And copper will kill snails, so don't dose that!

If you are *only* worried about ich, then QT'ing the snail without fish for a week would do the trick .... ich go through a life cycle in about 2 weeks with fish. Without a fish host, you don't have to worry about the trophant part of the life cycle (which occurs on the fish). All you need to worry about is the theront phase, & they will last only 2-3 days without a fish host. <This is assuming tropical temp... high 70's ... at low temp, ich has been known to over winter in ponds.>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom