Need serious help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so heres my deal... In the last 3 days I've done 3 50% water changes cause I'm fighting an ich outbreak that looks kinda like its dying down but my nitrites are out of control between 2-5... I know the best way to control nitrites at this stage(still cycling) is wc wc wc...

Problem:
Parents are starting to flip about my "water usage" and how i should just wait and the ich will "go away on its own"... What can I do to reduce my nitrites and fight ich without the beat down from the parents?? Please I'm hoping someone has an answer cause I dont wanna lose fish nor do I wanna listen to them complain and tell me I don't know what I'm doing...

u could of asked in your other post i would of been glad to help you. Best way to keep your nitrite/ nitrate down is still water changes. This is why i prefer to do a fishless cycle rather than fish in cycling.

For the Ich problem what type of fish are you keeping? Over the course of a day raise you water temp slowly between 85-86% . Leave it there for 10-15 days, while doing a gravel vac and water change every third day. Some people use aquarium salt, but IMO it's not really needed. If its a really stubborn Ick problem and the heat method isn't working than you can use chemicals that Petco or Petsmart sell for Ick. If you have scaleless fish be careful of what type of chemicals you use. I would start with the heat method

Lol sorry I would've put it in my other thread but I didn't think about it... I have 5 Cory cats(3 peppered, 2 albino), eclipse catfish, 4sunburst platy and three clown loaches... Water temp is sitting at 85.1 it was at 86 earlier gonna wait to see if it goes back up before I touch the heater...

the nitrite will go down with water changes. make sure your not over feeding. just tell your parents that the high nitrites are toxic to your fish and that once the tank cycles you won't have to do the changes as often. Water isn't all that expensive,throw them a few bucks if they're that annoying lol

As for the ich, you have some scaleless fish so i wouldn't use any of the chemicals treatments, the heat method should work fine

Ok I'll keep going with the water changes... The thing I don't understand is why are y nitrites not changing... Like i said before I've done 3 50% wc in the last 3 days an nitrites are still going insane... No matter how much water I change nothing works. I'm also using prime with each water change. And I've noticed my ammo dropping which is good, it's below .25 nitrates are around 10

Another piece of info that may be helpful to you is that I'm currently smack in the middle of week 5 of my cycle... Full specs before my water change today were:

Ph 7.6
High range ph 7.4 (dunno why theres a difference)
Ammo <.25
Nitrite as said was 2 to 5
Nitrate 10

I'm gonna run a ph and nitrite test here in a few and I'll post the findings ( water change started at 8 ended roughly 820-830 so tank shouldve circulated enough)

I can't offer much help in the way of your ich or nitrites. Seeing nitrates is good though. It means your bacteria is growing. As far as the wc's... Offer to give up your allowance for the week or maybe do some extra chores without your parentals having to ask. Explain to them that you are fighting two problems at once and as soon as the tank is cycled and the ich is gone you won't have to do so many water changes. I have a 55 and I do about 12 gallons a week. I wish you luck in your fishy endeavors. Worst case scenario- do water changes at 2am and hope your parents don't hear it!

Lol that might work...

Ran the tests again. I also tested my water in my house... Ph in the tank is at 7.6 cause my water is 7.6

Nitrites dropped from 2-5 to 1-2

Can nitrite levels be high from food/feeding?

HopefulHobbiest said:
Lol that might work...

Ran the tests again. I also tested my water in my house... Ph in the tank is at 7.6 cause my water is 7.6

Nitrites dropped from 2-5 to 1-2

Can nitrite levels be high from food/feeding?

Yeah I think so. I've heard of people using fish food to start a cycle so if you're not completely cycled it could be adding to the process there.

How much and what do you feed your fish and how often?

I feed mine once a day a decent size pinch of flakes. I have about 25 fish -platies and tetras- as well as 8 ghost shrimp and a few snails. I used to feed them that twice a day but realized it was too much. Once a week I feed them a cube of frozen bloodworms instead of flakes.

Lol I think that's my problem... I feed 2-3 times a day usually at 1030, 730, and 230am(if I'm still awake...) I use a pinch of food for the platys and bottom feeder tabs and shrimp pellets for my loaches and eclipse cat... I think I answered my own question right there lol

HopefulHobbiest said:
Lol I think that's my problem... I feed 2-3 times a day usually at 1030, 730, and 230am(if I'm still awake...) I use a pinch of food for the platys and bottom feeder tabs and shrimp pellets for my loaches and eclipse cat... I think I answered my own question right there lol

I've not owned any loaches or the cat, but platies I know only need once a day. It was hard at first only feeding once a day. Everytime I go by the tank they think I'm going to feed them, but I know they eat enough because they always have fat bellies.

So maybe I should slow down on the food?? But people have also told me that since my water temp is high at the moment for the ich treatment that the fish metabolism speeds up and the require a lil more food...

Maybe I'll feed just twice a day but keep the second feeding very minimal...

i feed twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. usually just a small pinch or two. A lot of people over feed their fish, but the truth is they can go multiple days without eating at all. Look up the nitrogen cycle, it will help ya understand how a tank cycles.

Cut back the feeding to once every 2-3 days, at least until the cycling is over. The more food you add the more waste is being produced. I'd also add a small concentration of salt, maybe 1tsp/5gal or so, to help combat nitrite toxicity as well as help combat Ich.

fish waste >> ammonia >> turns to nitrite >> turns to nitrate

the ammonia is what is turning into nitrites

Back
Top Bottom