Neon Tetra "Trap"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every once in a while my favorite LFS has those cute little neons on sale for $.50 each. People grab them like they are the last ones on the planet. They wisely house them in the tank right next to the $2.99 Cardinals and away they go.

It never fails that when I'm in there and somebody is buying them I hear "I don't know what happened to them, they just disappear.. Give me 6 more". It's amazing how many fish will eat other fish. Neons seem to be an especially tasty treat for some tanks. Even our tank at work, the Bala Sharks grab a neon from time to time. These sharks are only ~5 inches long.

I think that if you are going to buy neons, or any small fish for that matter, make sure that they are almost the biggest thing in the tank.

I have 5 little neons in with a dwarf gouramie. I've only had them for a few days. The neons are certainly small enough for the gouramie to eat. Are they known to do this?

I have neons with 2 dwarf gouramie which is about 2 inches. I don't think they will eat neons.

Angels will co-exsist with them so long as they are raised with them from a young age. However if you add more neons after they grow you can just call them all Lunch, or Dinner whatever you prefer :)

I had bad experiences with Dwarf Gouramies, i doubt i will have one in my tanks again unless its just 1 and there are bigger fish around that it wont pick on.

-Pleco

Ok so, one of my five neons has completely disappeared. There is no sign of it anywhere. I did a PWC tonight and carefully checked through all the plants and even lifted the drifwood in case there might be a body trapped under it. I don't see any explanation for this unless the dwarf gouramie did in fact eat it?

Apart from the neons and DG there is nothing else in this aquarium save for a few tiny ramshorn and pond snails that hitched a ride on my plants.

Neons are also extremely sensitive to water params, and with continued inbreeding much in the same way as the popular livebearers, the quality of stock is very poor (bent spines a frequent sight).
It could well be that you will lose some through the transfer to your tank, or even within a month or so. Since they're so small you may never notice remains. Not all disappearances are due to a piscivore/neon-eating tankmate.

I have a bunch of fish get caught up either on the power head or filter like that too.

Back
Top Bottom