New 10 Gallon tank for Pea Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JannFarr74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, all I am new to this. I have had a 20-gallon long freshwater tank for about 1 year and I just started a tank on 01/01/2020 and it is a 10-gallon tank that I would like to add some pea puffers in. When I went to the store that is locally by me they said that I could add 9-10 in there. Does that seem like a lot for that type of fish? I was going to add some Amano shrimp to help with the algae and clean up? What does everyone think?

yes thats a lot. I wouldnt recommend more then 3 in a 10gal and thats pushing it.

Also puffers will try to eat any shrimp or snail in the tank.

You will want to make sure the tank is as heavily planted as you can as puffers love to explore and are very curious fish.

I think pea puffers are 1 per 5 gallons due to territorial issues. 3 will be alright if you put enough plants/hiding spots for them. They will also only eat live/frozen foods, think blackworms or bloodworms.

It sounds like that pet store is still operating under the one inch fish = one gallon metric, which is pretty outdated at this point. I concur with the above three would be the absolute limit. Personally I would consider a single puffer and have plenty of room for him/her to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom