New 10gal with major algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdalessa01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I setup a 10 gal for my girlfriend about 2 weeks ago. She is getting massive algae growth covering the tank walls and the decorations. I told her to keep the light off and she has but it is still not going away. The back of the tank is at a window, however the backing blocks it and I dont see any light getting through.

Because this is a new tank, is this because there is some kind of imbalance?

Any ways I can fix this, or prevent it. She has no plants.

Thanks in advance.

How long does she leave the lights on? What kind of bulb(s) are in the hood? What is in the tank? What are the water parameters? What does the algae look like?

Algae can be the result of many things, too much light, too long light duration, too less light (sometimes the case of diatom algae), new tank with excess silicates (from gravel usually...causes diatom algae also), overfeeding, not enough water changes.....the list goes on and on.

We need more info to help figure out why its there. Then we can help you get rid of it by identifying the cause.

The Algae is green, and everywhere. She has had the light off for days. The tank has only been up about 2 weeks. We cycled the tank by seeding it with used filter media from my tank and she has not tested the water yet. I cant get her to understand how important it is, especially when cycling.

blackout the tank. throw a towel over it for two days. no light escaping. dont even feed the fish. they will survive w/o food for 2 days. after 2nd day, W/C 50% and again later that day or the next. should solve the problem.

stop overfeeding. most of the algae problems has to do with overfeeding.

Back
Top Bottom