New 92 Gallon Corner All-Glass Aquarium Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that guy neglects that it may be planted and have 0 nitrates but TDS is still constantly rising. With you wanting discus, weekly (if not x2 weekly) water changes will be essential.

If this was anything but discus you could probably get by skipping a week as most fish are more resilient.

Caleb

Hardy fish can go MUCH longer without water changes if you're filtering with plants. I've changed water on my aquaponics system like twice in the past year and my fish are very healthy, my koi is growing like CRAZY- Like an inch a month.

Edit/side note: the only reason I had to change the second time was because my spray bar got clogged when my neighbor fed the fish a MONTH worth of food in 5 days while I was on vacation. I thought I had dead fish the water was so cloudy, but everybody pulled through.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hardy fish can go MUCH longer without water changes if you're filtering with plants. I've changed water on my aquaponics system like twice in the past year and my fish are very healthy, my koi is growing like CRAZY- Like an inch a month.

Edit/side note: the only reason I had to change the second time was because my spray bar got clogged when my neighbor fed the fish a MONTH worth of food in 5 days while I was on vacation. I thought I had dead fish the water was so cloudy, but everybody pulled through.

If I'm correct though the plants in your aquaponics consume the solids in the water keeping TDS stable. I'm almost certain the same doesn't apply to just a normal planted tank. Plus when you change water it replaces those lost nutrients that are trace in the water itself.

Caleb

If I'm correct though the plants in your aquaponics consume the solids in the water keeping TDS stable. I'm almost certain the same doesn't apply to just a normal planted tank. Plus when you change water it replaces those lost nutrients that are trace in the water itself.

Caleb

That's why I specified filtering with plants, not just a planted tank. Like if the refugium had enough plants to handle the nitrates they would also take up the potassium, phosphorous, and other trace. I actually have to supplement iron and calcium to make sure they get enough.

+1 to no CO2

I removed my co2 system so I would have a higher oxygenation level and no pH swing from it.

I've also been playing with fertilizers as well, I'm doing half of a normal dosing to see how they react to it.

Have you seen any side effects to fertilizers Candyman?

Caleb

Yea at full doses of Seachem Iron, Flourish and API leaf zone the discus freak out.. Mine litterally belly up almost. They point there noses up and start to flutter there fins.. If i dose at half doses they dont act like that but i notice the breathing is faster.. I do a 80% water change every 3-4 days and before i dosed the ferts i watch there breathing and they have a slow steady pace.. When i dosed half the dosage there breathing started to get much faster.. So now i dose 1/4 of what the bottles say and they are fine like that and plants grow fine with it too. I have to dose ferts though because if i dont my plants start to turn white over time and thats from lack of Potasium or iron im not sure which one. Thats why I dose seachem iron and api leaf zone along with flourish.

so for example Leaf zone's measuring cap is 10ml when full thats 20g, so instead of dosing 4-5 cap fulls, i dose only 1 1/2, and with iron a capfull is good for 50g so i dose half a capfull, and flourish 1 capfull i believe is good for 60g so i only dose half a capfull of that.

And the reason why i wont use CO2 on my tanks is obvious more O2 for the fish, less labored the breathing will be.. And like all Organisms a higher amount of whatever gas they breathe, makes them grow bigger and faster.. Thats why more CO2 allows plants to grow faster and better, and more O2 allows animals and fish to grow bigger and faster.. Thats why millions of years ago animals and insects back then were huge because the earths Atmosphere had higher levels of O2.

That's why I specified filtering with plants, not just a planted tank. Like if the refugium had enough plants to handle the nitrates they would also take up the potassium, phosphorous, and other trace. I actually have to supplement iron and calcium to make sure they get enough.

Thats why i said a page back if your going to use a refugium to keep your nitrates very low or at 0 you will have to dose higher amounts of Ferts in the tank, and nitrogen to keep up with the plant requirements.. You will also need to dose discus trace to keep trace elements in the water column. But all this filtration still doesnt account for the hormones being released in the water, And im not sure if plants will removes hormones.. Hense why i would still do water changes

Hey dude man, do you have any pictures of your 92g ? What color is it ? I got mine on craigslist from an asian dude like 45 minutes from my house, he sold the stand and tank to me for $250 i thought i got a fantastic deal on it.. It had no top so i had to make a top for mine. The tank is also 10 years old, but its using black silicone and the black stuff from what i have experienced lasts alot longer then the clear silicone, it looked like new almost and i couldnt peal away the edges with my fingers when i tried. Here isa pic of the top i made, i know it isnt "percect" or super pretty but i did the best with the skills and tools i had. Those 2 lights on the left arent T8's they are power compacts. I gutted the t8's out and put a duel Power compact ballast in them

img_3248434_0_443d46bbdafcac3bfbc5ce79c2a796a6.jpg

img_3248434_1_1152f8738ca890bdb8c853498dfdb0fd.jpg

Yea at full doses of Seachem Iron, Flourish and API leaf zone the discus freak out.. Mine litterally belly up almost. They point there noses up and start to flutter there fins.. If i dose at half doses they dont act like that but i notice the breathing is faster.. I do a 80% water change every 3-4 days and before i dosed the ferts i watch there breathing and they have a slow steady pace.. When i dosed half the dosage there breathing started to get much faster.. So now i dose 1/4 of what the bottles say and they are fine like that and plants grow fine with it too. I have to dose ferts though because if i dont my plants start to turn white over time and thats from lack of Potasium or iron im not sure which one. Thats why I dose seachem iron and api leaf zone along with flourish.

so for example Leaf zone's measuring cap is 10ml when full thats 20g, so instead of dosing 4-5 cap fulls, i dose only 1 1/2, and with iron a capfull is good for 50g so i dose half a capfull, and flourish 1 capfull i believe is good for 60g so i only dose half a capfull of that.

And the reason why i wont use CO2 on my tanks is obvious more O2 for the fish, less labored the breathing will be.. And like all Organisms a higher amount of whatever gas they breathe, makes them grow bigger and faster.. Thats why more CO2 allows plants to grow faster and better, and more O2 allows animals and fish to grow bigger and faster.. Thats why millions of years ago animals and insects back then were huge because the earths Atmosphere had higher levels of O2.

Sweet thanks for that info. I'm going to do a half dose once mine are out of quarantine and watch the breathing rate. The difference is I'm using PPS-PRO and Metricide.

Caleb

All fish tanks that are like 5g or more are tempered glass on the bottom, if they werent they would collapse from the weight of the substrate and water and everything else you put in them. I will garuntee you that your 92g is tempered.

Pre-drilled tanks are tanks that are drilled before they are tempered.. Then they temper the glass. Honestly considering how rare and expensive 92g tanks are.. I wouldnt drill into it.. I just wouldnt want to risk cracking the glass or having it shatter on me. Get yourself a good canister filter or two, and a protein skimmer..

I also recomend two heaters, My tank has a 300w and a 250w heater on each corner, to keep the temps in the tank even.

Also water flow in corner tanks is kinda hard to get working properly.. What I do is i put the spray bar on my 2217 eheim canister filter horizontal, meaning up and down, and i put it on the front corner of the tank, this way is pushes water along the front BOW of the tank and creates a whirlpool motion of water flow in my tank.. Then i have a Internal filter on the oposite side where the intake of the canister is at, and i have its spray bar pointed up for surface agitation and its pointed towards the back of the glass at an angle.. This creates more water flow and circular motion in the fish tank...

Lighting it kinda hard for these tanks, I have Power compact over my tank, and i made a custom top for mine since it didnt come with a top when i got it on craigslist.. I put the 65w power compacts on each side, left and right and have them facing front to back.. This way the sides middle and front of the tank are perfectly lit.. The only problem is the back corner of the tank is dark and so what i do is i have a smaller like 18 inch T8 light back there to light the back up.

Here isa video of my tank, the first one is when i first set up the tank, the 2nd is just one i made talking about how to care for discus and my disagreements with some people's opinions on them, but you can see the progression of the plant growth. Im trying to carpet the bottom with S. repens

img_3248760_0_23578c9864795b54fed038f293b8691f.jpg

Beautiful... :) Great job!

I will post pictures once I start the stand build. I was going to start this past weekend but candyman has me scared I'm gonna crack my tank. So once I get my overflow kit in and drill some holes then I'll build a stand. There would be no point for a stand if I didn't have a tank. Lol I'm also looking to put a large piece of drift wood in the center of my tank. Every time I got to the creek to find some all there is is cedar there. I have found some great pieces but when I get home n cut on I'm a little I can smell the cedar. People online say don't put that in your tank. So any hints on what to look for because I know nothing about wood. Or a website with really cool driftwood. I live in Kentucky btw so what kinds of driftwood would I be looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will post pictures once I start the stand build. I was going to start this past weekend but candyman has me scared I'm gonna crack my tank. So once I get my overflow kit in and drill some holes then I'll build a stand. There would be no point for a stand if I didn't have a tank. Lol I'm also looking to put a large piece of drift wood in the center of my tank. Every time I got to the creek to find some all there is is cedar there. I have found some great pieces but when I get home n cut on I'm a little I can smell the cedar. People online say don't put that in your tank. So any hints on what to look for because I know nothing about wood. Or a website with really cool driftwood. I live in Kentucky btw so what kinds of driftwood would I be looking for?

The wood you dont want is Pine or anything with tree sap, Look for darker peices of wood. . I have a reservoir like 100 feet from my house and there is a little cove there where driftwood drifts too, and i actually found the wood you see in my 92G there.. Its a tree stump with lots of big roots that form caves and my discus love it, specially when they are sleeping for the night they all huddle under it, or when they are scared. However it floats so i had to put a couple peices of slate on top and thats why i decided to put water sprite between the slate and stump so i can hide the slate peices.. Turned out quite nice actually.

Whatever you do though you wanna boil the wood really good, not because of tannins but because of critters and snails and so forth.. I boiled mine for like 2 hours on each side. Here are some pics of the stump you see in my tank, set upside down so you can see the root system it has. You also want to get wood that isnt rotting.. If its soft and you can break it apart.. Then dont use it. If its solid and strong then you can use that. And i noticed that darker really heavy peices of wood are the ones you want to look for.. At least in my area, the lighter color ones like you see on the left and right of my picture seem to be end up as either rotting and too soft, or they are Pine

img_3248940_0_8530304a1d2846df28ae5620c7fb6097.jpg

A cousin of a friend has drilled over 100 tanks and I am going to his house this weekend.

Well here's what happened tonight.... I got off work starting drinking (light weight) and stopped around 2am. I have been dreading driving over and hour to have my tank drilled and pay 40 bucks. Plus having to explain to my wife what I was gonna do....so I began taking the drill kit apart. It is now 6am and I have successfully drilled two holes and have a drilled overflow on my tank. I'm going to bed. I'll add pictures this weekend when I begin the stand. ✌️

Use diamond tips and go easy. Really not much to it. It's like drilling porcelain tile.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437360343.802277.jpgthis is what my tanked looked like when I bought it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437360394.870810.jpgthis is what is looked like after I spray painted it but I still didn't like it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437360497.006052.jpgthis is what I did to it today and going to lowes tomorrow to find a new way to do the front

My 20g long fits perfect inside though.

Does anyone know if 5 or 6 bags of Ada Aqua soil will be enough for my 92 gallon corner tank?

Does anyone know if 5 or 6 bags of Ada Aqua soil will be enough for my 92 gallon corner tank?

Think each 9 liter bag is suited for 15 gallons.

I have gotta my stand almost done and I will be getting my uv light in on Wednesday and that's the last thing I need to have the complete set up.

I got some wisteria for my sump in the mail today and my tank
Won't be ready for a couple days how do I keep it alive till then just put it in a bowl?

Back
Top Bottom