new betta!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 5g tank with 2 lemon tetras

i heard tetras were good fish to put in with bettas so i went out and bought one. but he everytime he passes them he chases them off ..is this normal cause hes gettin used to them? or should i take the lil guy out and put him in his own tank. i dont wanna get rid of him, he has major finage ..and hes so curious, looking inside the caves and stuff ..cute

Some bettas just will not tolerate tank mates, YMMV. Keep a close eye on him tonight and see how everyone is doing.

do bettas mind water currents from HOB filters ..cause my bettas just chilling in the back of the tank. i would assume away from the currents because his fins are not flowing as much as it would in front.

Bettas do not like strong currents. A mild one shouldn't bother him. As far as chasing the tetras...like Menagerie said, keep a close eye and as long as there is no nipping or biting everything should be fine. Your bettas is just getting used to his surroundings so his temperament may vary in the next few days.

As long as the current isn't blasting everything in the tank, HOB's (on mid-low level) are fine.

I have seen a large group of tetras gang up and nip bettas...Like the others have said, keep an eye on things. Two tetras and a betta may work out. Some bettas tolerate tankmates and some don't. The 5 gallon tank would be ideal for a betta alone. A sponge filter, driven by a small air pump, is just right for a 5 gallon. If you also use a gang valve, you can adjust the water flow through the sponge filter, and keep the currents to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom