new chiclid tank soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I am starting a new tank soon. Probably a 30 - 55 gallon tank and will be for chiclids. Does anyone know anything about the that would benefit me. I know nothing about them so any advice is welcomed and thanked very much

Sorry should have been more specific. I want to start with African chiclids like the five bar ones

o.jonathan.o said:
Sorry should have been more specific. I want to start with African chiclids like the five bar ones

That's a step in a right direction, although that's still a pretty broad statement. There are 3 major lakes in the rift valley Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria. Each lake has many "classes" of fish. For instance Lake Malawi has Mbuna, Haps and Peacocks each with different requirements. There are many good intro to African cichlids articles on various websites.

As for tank size a good rule of thumb is go with the biggest tank you can afford. In your case a 55 gal would be the smallest I would go, it will provide allot of good options 75/90 would be better a 125-150 would be best.

Well. I'm working on getting a better job (because I love my hobby) and I'm gonna get a 150 or more when the money is there but 55 for now will work

o.jonathan.o said:
Well. I'm working on getting a better job (because I love my hobby) and I'm gonna get a 150 or more when the money is there but 55 for now will work

A 55 gallon is a good tank to start with and will give you a good range of options.

The ones I want are from Tanganyika I think. How many would suit a 55g tank

Mogurako said:
Are you wanting to do a species tank or a community tank?

Well I'm wanting different species of chiclids in there but I was reading that this specific type (when paired) can be extremely aggressive. Is this true, and are all chiclids aggressive or just certain species

With Lake Tanganyika cichlids you are able to create some cool fairly peaceful community tanks.

I would try something like this:

- Cyprichromis leptosoma x8-12
- Altolamprologus compressiceps/ Calvus or Julidochromis x 4-6
- Shell dweller or Synodontis Petricola x 4-6

Mogurako said:
With Lake Tanganyika cichlids you are able to create some cool fairly peaceful community tanks.

I would try something like this:

- Cyprichromis leptosoma x8-12
- Altolamprologus compressiceps/ Calvus or Julidochromis x 4-6
- Shell dweller or Synodontis Petricola x 4-6

Sorry. I'm not good with scientific names. What are those

Thanks for the help. Do you know the quality of water they prefer

I think you might be referring to Frontosa when you say the 5 bar ones. If that is the case 55 is going to be the minimum for starters. You will need to upgrade tank size as they grow. I had one old male that grew to 13"in a 180 gallon tank.

foster53 said:
I think you might be referring to Frontosa when you say the 5 bar ones. If that is the case 55 is going to be the minimum for starters. You will need to upgrade tank size as they grow. I had one old male that grew to 13"in a 180 gallon tank.

I just think that was his jumping off point, but I wouldn't put fronts in anything but a 6' tank, in a school of 8-12 IMO. In a 55 I would go with some of the ones I suggested or fish that stay 3-5 inches.

As for water quality you want good clean water with plenty of filtration. In a 55 gallon you want 550 gallons per hour + of filtration. Ph isn't all that important unless the fish are wild caught, but lake tangs can take up to/ prefer their ph closer to 9.

foster53 said:

No actually I got it right. Its referred to as a dwarf frontosa. Tanganyika cichlids

The fish you are referring to is actually not a Frontosa at all, it is a Neolamprologus tretocephalus it looks just like a juvinal Frontosa, it schools with them to help with predation. They grow to be about 6" long.

Attachments

• image-3698727732.jpg
    image-3698727732.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 86
It's cool. I just had to put that there for you to see so I know we are talking about the same fish

So now that we are talking about the same fish. Do you believe that link I sent is right?

Yes we are indeed talking about the same fish, Neolamprologus tretocephalus aka 5 bar Neolamp.

From what I have read they can be fairly aggressive when spawning. If that is the fish you are set on keeping I would go with like 5 fish, 1 male and 4 females and school of smaller Syno. cats.

Back
Top Bottom