New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I need a new filter for my 10 gallon community because my current one (topfin 10) sucks. So I'll be getting an aquaclear 20... My question is how do I switch over without losing all my beneficial bacteria?!?! Can I just stick my current cartridge in the new filter?

I could try but it would be a little crowded... Would it work if I just ploped the cartridge in the new filter?

You could just transfer the filter material to the new filter.

There is no hard and fast rule as to how long it takes the bacteria to form in enough quantity on the new filter when they are running simultaneously, but most people will say about a month or so. Some more, some less.

If you plop the old cartridge in the new filter, I may consider testing the water to make sure nothing gets out of hand. But, I would think you would be OK.

Dale_I said:
You could just transfer the filter material to the new filter.

There is no hard and fast rule as to how long it takes the bacteria to form in enough quantity on the new filter when they are running simultaneously, but most people will say about a month or so. Some more, some less.

If you plop the old cartridge in the new filter, I may consider testing the water to make sure nothing gets out of hand. But, I would think you would be OK.

Cool, I'll just transfer the old media to new filter and leave it for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom