New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently own a Aqueon 55 / 75 and purchased a fluval C4 and it's to arrive in 2 days. Some say I should run the new filter along side the old for a few days. As all of you know that this is due to the fact that the new filter has no bb. If this is true then how long should I leave both running and then remove the old filter.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I currently own a Aqueon 55 / 75 and purchased a fluval C4 and it's to arrive in 2 days. Some say I should run the new filter along side the old for a few days. As all of you know that this is due to the fact that the new filter has no bb. If this is true then how long should I leave both running and then remove the old filter.

I would do at least 3 weeks. 4 would be better.

I would do at least 3 weeks. 4 would be better.

Do you think that it would mess with my water chemistry even if my tank has been established for 2 years?

You may see a mini cycle when you remove the old filter. Just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrites for a week or so after removing it

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might as well leave the old filter on. Why chance it?

There is no problem with doing that. I run up to 4 filters on 1 tank.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly in my experience with my 55g tank, I can wash with tap water and completetly replace the 2 filter floss pads in my Penguin 350 and see no ammonia spike.. Personally I think filters are overrated when it comes to removing ammonia and so forth unless you are extremely overstocked and over feed..

Why not just put the old filters media in the new canister?

You would be saving all your bb so fhere shouldnt be any worry about a cycle.

Honestly in my experience with my 55g tank, I can wash with tap water and completetly replace the 2 filter floss pads in my Penguin 350 and see no ammonia spike.. Personally I think filters are overrated when it comes to removing ammonia and so forth unless you are extremely overstocked and over feed..

That's a good point. BB is everywhere not just the filter. I would run the old filter for 3-4weeks either way, although with responsible stocking and feeding it shouldn't be such an issue.

Eg. I don't run a filter on my 10g which has a breeding pair of killifish...
water quality has to be reasonably good for them to breed.

Is it possible that you killing the bacteria regularly on the filter pads has caused a growth of bacteria elsewhere in the tank?

People commonly over emphasize the need for extra biological media when only a little bit is needed.

That being said, filters are still the primary reason that our hobby is where it is today. Their importance cant be understated.

Is it possible that you killing the bacteria regularly on the filter pads has caused a growth of bacteria elsewhere in the tank?

People commonly over emphasize the need for extra biological media when only a little bit is needed.

That being said, filters are still the primary reason that our hobby is where it is today. Their importance cant be understated.

Not saying they are worthless, but you know dustin on dustins fish tanks, doesn't even use filters in his tanks.. I deff need my canister on my discus tank, before I had it I use to have constant ammonia spikes..

But with my other tanks, ive never had issues replacing all the pads or washing them in city tap water.. I have noticed when changing substrates though, that causes the ammonia spikes.. Filters not so much

Not sure what you are answering here. There was nothing about how they are cleaning the filter.
Why not just put the old filters media in the new canister?

You would be saving all your bb so fhere shouldnt be any worry about a cycle.
Its a c 4 not a canister. I don't think there is room for the old media.

Not sure what you are answering here. There was nothing about how they are cleaning the filter.

Its a c 4 not a canister. I don't think there is room for the old media.

No no room for old media. But was thinking I could just throw the old filters in a bucket and put swish the new sponge in the water with the old filters.

I would squeeze the old media out over the new filter to seed it but still run both for a while.

No no room for old media. But was thinking I could just throw the old filters in a bucket and put swish the new sponge in the water with the old filters.

Ahh, gotcha i got my filters mixed up. You can take the pad and cut it up in that case. Just remove the carbon and youre good to go.

Be careful, I just bought 2 new C3's because i purchased a 40G Breeder during dollar days.

I had a 36G with 2 C3's running established for a few months, and I took the 1 C3 off the 36 and put it in the 40, and then gave the 36G a new C3 as well as the 40G. I did have a mini cycle in both tanks, lasted about 4-5 days (Nitrite, never had an issue with ammonia). So if you do just run 1 old and 1 new, keep an eye on the parms for a week or so (Nothing an extra WC during the week couldn't fix) .

Also if you really are worried about this, just cram that old filter into the C4's spare bin (the one that houses carbon)

(y)

Thanks I was thinking about that but I was gonna put some biomax in the carbon cartridge.

Be careful, I just bought 2 new C3's because i purchased a 40G Breeder during dollar days.

I had a 36G with 2 C3's running established for a few months, and I took the 1 C3 off the 36 and put it in the 40, and then gave the 36G a new C3 as well as the 40G. I did have a mini cycle in both tanks, lasted about 4-5 days (Nitrite, never had an issue with ammonia). So if you do just run 1 old and 1 new, keep an eye on the parms for a week or so (Nothing an extra WC during the week couldn't fix) .

Also if you really are worried about this, just cram that old filter into the C4's spare bin (the one that houses carbon)

(y)

This is normal because you removed BB from you established tank and the 40G being new, could get a mini cycle even with a nice seeded filter.

I would say you should have installed a 3rd filter in your 36G to seed it for a couple week. This way you won't have a mini cycle on the 36G.

I would say you should have installed a 3rd filter in your 36G to seed it for a couple week. This way you won't have a mini cycle on the 36G.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, :cool:

It was on setup on an impulse, and I knew i could handle anything that occurred with PWC till it rebounded. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom