New fish died, 3 others in quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 4 emerald corry on Sunday. One died. Unknown cause. Gills inflamed, coloration lighter, especially belly. (I just had eye surgery and lost close vision. I also flushed the dead one before it occurred to me to take a picture. Sorry)

How long should I keep the other 3 in quarantine? Also, since they like groups of 4, I'm going to replace the dead one with 2 more if I can find some. Can I put them in with the others in quarantine or do I need another quarantine tank?

Thanks in advance!

These are actually not corys, but Brochis cats (Brochis splendens).

It could be the fish were newly imported and sometimes they don't ship well. I have some at work at the moment and we lost a few when they first arrived. As far as I know, they are all wild caught, not captive bred. They may have suffered some ammonia exposure in the exporters bag.

Keep an eye on them and maybe add a general bactericide to the water to protect any damaged areas. I would give them a week in QT and see if they have settled and are feeding well. Offer them bloodworm, daphnia etc and try an algae wafer too.

Thanks! What general med do you suggest and should I leave filter in or take it out?

I bought the algae wafers so I'll give them that today and the blood worms are on order. I've been giving them some algae, tubaflex, flake, crushed freeze dried b. shrimp.

The LFS might have had 2 more in the same tank. I'll go back and buy them today and get 2 more moss balls.

I guess I'll just keep them all together during the quarantine.

Thank you so much for helping me!!!

Back
Top Bottom