New fish for 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCr8zy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting a new 55 gallon tank. It will be freshwater and a community tank. What fish should i get? any suggestions? Also any suggestions about low-med light plants?

Do you want small schooling fish medium size fish, the list is huge. Tetras are always nice and if your lucky they will all shoal. I had fork tails blue eyes, neons and red phantoms shoal. It was really cool

Here s a list of low-med light plants. Good luck with your tank, I m setting up a 55g community & really excited to see my idea come to life. Post your stocking plans as you go, it s good to get feedback here esp. if you want a peaceful tank. It took many try s for me to attain that in my other two tanks.

image-50729974.jpg

I ll add Tiger Lily to that list , too. My first attempt they melted but I cleaned them in hydrogen peroxide. Just got 3 more that I only rinsed in water & they look great, even throwing out new leaves the first week.

Do you want small schooling fish medium size fish, the list is huge. Tetras are always nice and if your lucky they will all shoal. I had fork tails blue eyes, neons and red phantoms shoal. It was really cool

I prefer small-med schooling fish, livebearers, and maybe rainbowfish.

I ll add Tiger Lily to that list , too. My first attempt they melted but I cleaned them in hydrogen peroxide. Just got 3 more that I only rinsed in water & they look great, even throwing out new leaves the first week.

Do tiger Lilly's grow to the surface of the water like other lily pads? Some tigers r red, does that mean they need more light?

They do send leaves to the top of the tank, I ve been told to cut those off if you want a more low profile plant. Not sure about the red component , but with full spectrum lights, I think they do fine. Will be able to answer that better in a couple of months! :)

They do send leaves to the top of the tank, I ve been told to cut those off if you want a more low profile plant. Not sure about the red component , but with full spectrum lights, I think they do fine. Will be able to answer that better in a couple of months! :)

Ok thanks. How many watts should I have for lighting? (In total or watts per gallon ). What type of lights do u recommend?

Back
Top Bottom