New fish selection...any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150 gallon freshwater (somewhat) planted tank that contains for the most part community fish. In it I have the typical mollies, platys, guppies, and then giant danios, and many rainbowfish. In addition, I have an upsidown cat, a betta,, an angelfish, a black ghost knife, an African knife, a yo yo loach, and a Botia loach, many plecos and algae eaters, some glass shrimp, a rainbowshark, and probably alot more that I'm forgetting. But, I am interested in buying some new fish and am open to suggestions. What I am looking at right now is a elephant nose, and fish along the lines of that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Without knowing exactly how many fish you have it's hard to give you suggestions. You may be overstocked or have plenty of room depending but it's impossible to tell from just this. Can you give us a more complete list and perhaps some pics?

One other thing to think about is the stocking compatibility you have currently. BGK/African knife do not mix well with small community fish, unless you are using them as feeders. They may be small enough now to where it isn't an issue, but give it time.

It certainly is not overstocked, its a 4ft by 3ft by 3ft, with a 216watt oddysea lighting unit, I have a few plants in it like amazon swords and some other floating plants. I can post pics tommarrow. That list is correct of all of the fish in my tank except for 3 neon tetras. Thanks

And yes the bgk is small, but the African knife is about 5 inches and doesn't harm anyone or even attempt to.

It certainly is not overstocked, its a 4ft by 3ft by 3ft, with a 216watt oddysea lighting unit, I have a few plants in it like amazon swords and some other floating plants. I can post pics tommarrow. That list is correct of all of the fish in my tank except for 3 neon tetras. Thanks

What I meant was can you tell us exactly how many of each type of fish you have? You mentioned many mollies, platys, rainbows etc but how many of each?

Haha.. Sorry my bad, I have 4 mollies (1 male, 3 female), 3 platys (1 m, 2 f), 4 rainbowfish, 2 guppies ( 1m, 1f), 3 neon tetras, and about 35 platypus fry, but they are in a breeder 10 gal with guppy fry

I meant platy fry, not platypus, iPhone autocorrect for sucks

I do indeed have all of the other fish listed but only one of each listed, not multiple

I don't believe that you are overstock but those knife will start to eat anything that fits in their mouth when the lights go out. I think you may want to go back to the drawing board with that stock list though. Also I am curious how lighting is even relavent when someone mentions you being overstocked? There is not need to be defensive either the members here are always going to look out of the well being of the fish first, so don't be afraid of a little constructive criticism.

Ya I gotcha, I was just mentioning the lights cus I thought certain fish are sensitive to it. Honestly I do not plan on keeping all of the upper level small fish if they are in danger.

Back
Top Bottom