New silver shark randomly died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I recently purchased a silver shark for my 100 gal tank. ( I would have gotten more but there was only one left at the store). Two days later I got him a buddy. The two sharks have been fine for two days. The new one was hiding a lot though. Today I woke up to find only one shark left. I looked around for the other shark and found him dead stuck to the filter intake. His fins were all torn up and he had missing scales and half of his tail fin was gone. (Probably because of the filter) what could of cause this. I am now hesitant to buy another one as I don't want it to die aswel. What should I do. They were both about an inch and a half long. The original shark I first got still seems happy swimming around and has not been injured or harassed by the other fish. Im thinking my Chinese algea eater might be a culprit but not sureIMG_3610.jpg

This is what the sharks looks like if that helps discover how it died

What fish are currently in the tank?
How was the fish introduced to the tank (acclimation process)?
We're both sharks active and feeding prior to this?
On a side note, I wonder why this fish (Baka shark) is so readily available to the consumer seeing as they can get to over a foot in length.

4 clown loaches, red tail shark,two flying foxes a bn and a common pleco. Some African cichlid fry (until they get bigger) a Chinese algea eater. He was floated in the bag to match temp and then released him in

Maybe your bala shark had already been infected with some type of illness while housed at your LFS. The body damages you observed probably occurred after the shark died. Thank goodness you have a large tank. Like fresh20 stated, bala sharks can reach 12" or more in the wild. Likely a little smaller in your tank. As for why LFS continue to sell x-large potential fish,
"Customer demand". A few days ago my LFS was selling red tail catfish / shovel nose catfish hybrids. Are you kidding? Good luck with your sharks, if your water parameters are okay, your sharks death was probably just another unexplained fatality which occurs once in a while.

It was eating and acting normal and then just died. Is it worth me getting another one and se how it goes?

Over the years I have experienced the unexpected mysterious fish death while trying to build a school of a specific fish. As long as the other shark and tankmates are eating and acting normally it's probably okay to replace. If your system is fully matured, then it's usually better to add two fish rather than a single. When you select your next fish, carefully study the available stock at the LFS and select the strongest looking fish. Have the sales person feed the fish as to verify health. Insist that the employee net the fish that you truly want. Keep AA updated.

Ok I think I will buy another and see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies

Also am I correct in saying that my 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank is 100gals ?

Back
Top Bottom