new sponge filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so here's the deal. I got a sponge filter today for my 29 gallon QT/fry tank. I put it in my 75 with a powerhead on it to build up bb so that my 29 will cycle quickly. How long should I keep it in my 75 to insure there is a build up of BB. 2nd question is how large of an air pump do I need for it?

Don't know about the time question but I can answer your other one. Are you just running it or other things? If it's alone you could run it on a 20. I would go with a 40 so you can run other stuff in the future if you want. I'm running a 60 (OVERKILL) on my 20g right now... I have a sponge filter and a large (24") bubble wand. I can run them both at full power.

Don't know about the time question but I can answer your other one. Are you just running it or other things? If it's alone you could run it on a 20. I would go with a 40 so you can run other stuff in the future if you want. I'm running a 60 (OVERKILL) on my 20g right now... I have a sponge filter and a large (24") bubble wand. I can run them both at full power.

Alright thanks I have a whisper 10 was hoping that would work.

How do you run a spongefilter on an airpump? I could run my soon sponge filter and bubble wand on the same pump?

How do you run a spongefilter on an airpump? I could run my soon sponge filter and bubble wand on the same pump?

Yep, I do. I have a Tetra Whisper (I forget the size, maybe for a 30 gal) and I use a gang valve to run both the sponge filter and an airstone. I had a Top Fin pump but it was pretty weak, I had to keep both very low, but it's a lot better with the Tetra Whisper.

Answer to first question: at least a month. Longer to build up alot. But at least a month. And as for the second question I have no idea. How long are you planning to keep the fry in the tank? Are you planning on putting an HOB filter once the reach a certain size?

no when the get large enough they will be transferred to a 40gallon with a HOB, Why would it take a month when it takes a month for the tank to cycle.

To make sure the BB will get on it. Its just like adding another filter to your tank. You should always wait at lease a month.

Back
Top Bottom