Do I need the black sponge for my new filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I need the black sponge for my new filter? Also it's a 30 gallon filter, for my 20 gallon tank, so tell me what do you think, is it fine to use?

Im going to look at your video later, but dont remove your old filter. Keep it running on your tank otherwise you will crash your tanks cycle.

I took the old sponge out and put it in my new filter

Im going to look at your video later, but dont remove your old filter. Keep it running on your tank otherwise you will crash your tanks cycle.

I took the old sponge out and put it in my new filter. Is that what I'm supposed to do? I took the white sponge out and placed it in my new filter, but there is also a black sponge, not sure I need, it or not.

Either set up your new filter and run it alongside your new one for a month or take what filter media you can and put it in the new filter.

I threw out my old filter.

Either set up your new filter and run it alongside your new one for a month or take what filter media you can and put it in the new filter.

I threw out my old filter. I did not think I needed it, now what do I Do? I did take out the old media and put it in the new filter.

The best way to change filters is to run the old filter and replacement filter alongside each other for a month or so. You know your old filter was cycled, so if you run them together it gives your new filter chance to get some beneficial bacteria in there before you remove the older one. You can then swap any old filter material you are able to from old to new after the old is removed so retain as much of your cycled media as possible.

Next best option is to take filter media from your old filter and use it in the replacement.

I wouldnt throw away a usable filter. If nothing else its a spare should something happen to your new one.

Looking at your video, I personally would half the rated filtration. Your new filter rated for 30 gallons IMO would be good for a 15 gallon tank. I wouldnt go out and get another new filter though, yours will be fine.

I also dont like using cartridges because whenever you change the cartridge you throw away the microbes that are eating all the ammonia. Better to ditch the cartridges over time and use some sponge or ceramic rings in place of the cartridges.

I dug my old filter from the trash.

The best way to change filters is to run the old filter and replacement filter alongside each other for a month or so. You know your old filter was cycled, so if you run them together it gives your new filter chance to get some beneficial bacteria in there before you remove the older one. You can then swap any old filter material you are able to from old to new after the old is removed so retain as much of your cycled media as possible.

Next best option is to take filter media from your old filter and use it in the replacement.

I wouldnt throw away a usable filter. If nothing else its a spare should something happen to your new one.

Looking at your video, I personally would half the rated filtration. Your new filter rated for 30 gallons IMO would be good for a 15 gallon tank. I wouldnt go out and get another new filter though, yours will be fine.

I also dont like using cartridges because whenever you change the cartridge you throw away the microbes that are eating all the ammonia. Better to ditch the cartridges over time and use some sponge or ceramic rings in place of the cartridges.

Yes I gotta get a sponge for my filters. In my betta tanks I have sponges in my filters. But I do not for my 20 gallon tank. I also have an extra filter I bought from Amazon, for a 20 gallon tank. I'll make sure to keep it.
BTW I dug my filter out of the trash, so now I have 2 filters running. I put my older media back into my old filter, and then added the new white sponge to my newer filter.

When you say white sponge do you mean the filter cartridge you have slotted at the back? If so do you know whats inside it? Do you have the packaging it came in?

Carbon

When you say white sponge do you mean the filter cartridge you have slotted at the back? If so do you know whats inside it? Do you have the packaging it came in?

The filter cartridge I have slotted at the back. I think carbon is in side it, looks that way to me. I have to buy a sponge for my filter.

You need to find out whats in there. If its carbon take it out of the filter, let dry it out, and store it somewhere for if you ever need carbon. If its zeolite then take it out of the filter and throw it in the rubbish. Zeolite will absorb ammonia and prevent your tank from cycling. Until it gets used up and then it will stop absorbing ammonia and the ammonia will kill your fish.

It should say on the packaging it came in whats in it. If not, if it came as standard with your filter, what filter do you have and perhaps i can look it up.

If you don't know what is in there, better to take it out.

You need to find out whats in there. If its carbon take it out of the filter, let dry it out, and store it somewhere for if you ever need carbon. If its zeolite then take it out of the filter and throw it in the rubbish. Zeolite will absorb ammonia and prevent your tank from cycling. Until it gets used up and then it will stop absorbing ammonia and the ammonia will kill your fish.

It should say on the packaging it came in whats in it. If not, if it came as standard with your filter, what filter do you have and perhaps i can look it up.

If you don't know what is in there, better to take it out.

It says for the filter I bought. CARTRIDGE REFILLS: Change cartridges monthly; uses large-sized Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag Filter Cartridges (refills sold separately. It says One filter prefilled with carbon. So do I take the carbon out and then put the white filter back?

I rinsed the carbon out of the filter cartridge

I rinsed the carbon out of the filter cartridge. So all I have is a empty filter cartridge, which I stuck back in the filter. It had a blue piece that comes out, along with the white cartridge. I did not have to cut anything open.
Do I empty out my old cartridge, as well, that was from my cycled tank. That to has carbon.

I would leave the old carbon in the filter for a month or so. It will be holding some bacteria that will help cycle your new filter.

Take a look at this video. This is what you are aiming for, just substitute your choice of bio media (ceramic rings, seachem matrix, plastic pot scrubbers) for the biohome he uses in his video.

https://youtu.be/q4olQ-n0ZY8

The filter cartridge I have slotted at the back. I think carbon is in side it, looks that way to me. I have to buy a sponge for my filter.
I don't want to confuse you as when you have too many chefs in the kitchen, the meal is not always so great. ;) ;) So I'll address these:
Look at the fish. If the fish do not appear to be struggling to swim, do not change whatever setting you have the filter on.

Look at the water surface. If there is a good rippling effect, that is going to help with oxygenation. If there isn't, if you can, raise the water flow until you have and the fish are not struggling to swim in the tank. The water line appears to be the correct height so that there is some splashing coming from the filter. (y)

While Aiken is correct that sponges are better filtering material than the cartridges that come with the HOB filters, not all HOB filters are able to house large enough sponges to accommodate the load in the tank so you don't always have the option of replacing the cartridges. :( Look online for sponge cartridges that list your filter brand and model to see if this is an option for you to replace your current cartridges. If it is and you currently have the 2 cartridges, you only want to exchange one cartridge at a time. Start with replacing the new cartridge leaving the established one for later. Wait a month between exchanging the other cartridge. ( You also have the option of running both filters on the tank with the sponge in the old filter and the established cartridge in the new filter. When the old cartridge is worn out and needs replacing, you replace it with the sponge and discontinue using the smaller filter.)

Aiken is also correct that most of the bacteria and microbes that were in the old filter are going to be in the filter cartridge. Moving that cartridge to the new filter would serve the same purpose as running both filters together waiting for the new cartridge to get some bacterial growth. Doing this is the same as "seeding" a new tank using old material. The remedy for any imbalance or loss would be to add some fritz #7 to the tank to help eliminate any ammonia or nitrite rise. You'll want to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for at least the first week after the exchange. If anything is going to happen, it should happen within the first few days.

Regarding this other black cartridge: does your new filter have slots for 2 cartridges? If not, you need to make sure that adding that second cartridge is not slowing the water flow. ( You can check this by removing one cartridge and see if the flow increases. ) If your filter has 2 slots, there is no reason not to keep it in there as the more material for the bacteria to adhere to, the better. The carbon in these cartridges does not last a long time ( 30-45 days +/- ) so after that amount of time, making a slit in the top or the cartridge and pouring out the carbon before replacing it in the filter will help keep the water flow going. ( You do want to check the packaging to make sure that the black cartridge is not just a "dummy one' to show the consumer how they go. :whistle: )

So this is how I would proceed. (y)

Back
Top Bottom