New tank first readings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok latest readings... I don’t understand why my nitrates have dropped so low and my PH changed... I topped up the tank with some fresh water and water conditioner.. would that have adjusted the readings that much? I’m still adding fish flakes daily and have a piece of fish in the tank as well. Also noticed some of the plants aren’t doing so great anymore :/
IMG_0824.jpg

Not sure about the pH change. Regarding the nitrate test, make sure that all of the mixing and pre-mixing is consistent with every test.
I would retest both.

IMG_0832.jpg

Next results... tank was really smelling so did 12% water change

Should I clean the filter in the tank water, or wait until it’s fully cycled?

Think I’m going to fully clean the tank and start again... it’s smelling awful and getting lots of algae and slime.

Think I’m going to fully clean the tank and start again... it’s smelling awful and getting lots of algae and slime.
How long are the lights on if you are getting algae? It'd recommend leaving them off during the cycle unless you have plants.

I'd do a 50% water change. Maybe post a picture of the tank itself.

Lights are on 13 hours a day. I have plants in there. But they aren’t looking too healthy anymore. Very disheartening it’s putting me off continuing.

Lights are on 13 hours a day. I have plants in there. But they aren’t looking too healthy anymore. Very disheartening it’s putting me off continuing.

Keep trying at it. If you need some advice you can always bring in a water sample to your local pet store and they’ll probably give you a free water test so you can know for sure what your water quality is.

Water changes and only 6-8 hours of light. Try 20% water changes every other day. Keep adding your ammonia source as you go. Test the water after about 10 days. See where you are at.

Are you using injected Co2? Also, plants melt over the first few weeks/months so don’t let that discourage you.

What light are you using?

Using liquid C02. Using the lights that came with it. 12 Volt, 12 Watt LED-light unit (dimmable)
LED: 104x white + 16x blue

So done another water change today... doesn’t smell as bad as it was thankfully.
Thanks for the advice and help guys.. I’m still adding small amounts of fish food as an ammonia source.. think I should just try and get some pure ammonia? IMG_0835.jpgIMG_0834.jpgIMG_0837.jpgIMG_0838.jpg

Thank you. It’s really good to hear that.. I was nervous about showing the tank because I thought it didn’t look very good.

Back
Top Bottom