New to brackish, Columbian Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just found out that my Columbian sharks would like a brackish tank. How brackish? I currently have two in a 5 gallon tank, hoping they don't outgrow it too fast! What range should I aim for on a hydrometer?

Two colombian sharks in a 5g is a bad idea. These fish grow to 10" and they grow fast. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 75g+ then I suggest you return them.

[center:095b329c31] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, sharky!! :n00b: [/center:095b329c31]

Aside from the quick growth of the sharks, you will need marine salt and a hydrometer that reads from 1.000 up to marine levels. Be careful, because many of the hydrometers can't read low levels of salt. The larger the tank is, the easier it is to care for. Since most BW fish are sold as FW, you will need to acclimate them slowly and give the bacteria in your filter a chance to change with the changing salinity. My BW tank will be at 1.015-1.018 once I finish bringing up the salt level.

Now, those fish you bought are quick growers and you should be prepared to purchase a new tank soon. If you can't afford a 75 gal right away, invest in a 30-40 gal tank to let the sharks grow and then in a year or so, purchase a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom