new to fish .. amonia level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theRECOIL101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i bought the api master test kit and found that my amonia level was very high i figured as much so i also purchased api ammo lock and add a little more then it said but not much was more by accident but ya i waited about an hour because it says it works instantly and tested again i could not beleive it but it almost seems to have gotten worse so i guess the queastion is ... is this normal i would think not how long should it take to get results ... i also added api salt because i didnt have any and also added api stress coat to help the new fish what did i do wrong or is this all normal ... also fish seem to be much more active

so i bought the api master test kit and found that my amonia level was very high i figured as much so i also purchased api ammo lock and add a little more then it said but not much was more by accident but ya i waited about an hour because it says it works instantly and tested again i could not beleive it but it almost seems to have gotten worse so i guess the queastion is ... is this normal i would think not how long should it take to get results ... i also added api salt because i didnt have any and also added api stress coat to help the new fish what did i do wrong or is this all normal ... also fish seem to be much more active
Pretty sure "locked" ammonia still registers on an API test kit. has it clearly gotten worse readings? Or is it just a vague difference? I try avoid adding chemicals at all cost. But sometimes u have to. Are you cycling still?

vague difference the tank has been up for about three weeks i dont think it is still cycling i have had six fish in there for about 2 weeks its just a 29 gallon tank

vague difference the tank has been up for about three weeks i dont think it is still cycling i have had six fish in there for about 2 weeks its just a 29 gallon tank

I have a 29 as well. took me about 2 1/2 weeks to zero out. do you have a local pet store available to you? I think your still cycling. are your nitrite still high? are you producing nitrates? and are you familiar with the method of "seeding" your tank. Works wonders! strongly recommend attaining an established bio sponge. You buy it new and they switch it out with 1 already in their tanks. only drawback now is if there's a severe change in p.h. From their tank to yours the bacteria can be killed in an instant. But it's gotta b pretty drastic of a change.

Last edited:
nitrite is almost zero ... nitrate is also low and ph is about an 8
Well your definitely headed in the right direction. I wouldn't say your completely cycled if your showing nitrites. Don't really know what to tell you at this point besides what I stated previously. MAYBE some 20% water changes every couple days are in order if things start getting out of hand. you didn't say exactly how high your ammonia was. if it's really high I would do water changes like 1 ppm u should for sure. also check your tap water that could be the culprit. If your tap contains less than your tank surely it would be helpful.

If you have high ammonia with no nitrite or nitrate and you have only had fish for 2wks, then you are just beginning a fish-in cycle. Exactly how high are your ammonia levels? The best thing you can do right now are water changes until you can drop your ammonia level to .25ppm or lower. The amm-lock will help detox ammonia (NOT remove it) to ammonium temporarily (@24hrs). Water changes are going to be your best friend until your tank is fully cycled which may take 6-8wks (or longer). Do not add anymore fish until your tank is fully cycled and feed very sparingly to limit ammonia production. Please read the link below for more information and ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom