New to killifish, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was recently suprised for Valentine's day by the Mrs buying me fish she thought id like...
1 Norman's Lampeye (killi)
1 Rocket Panchex (clown killi)

Very sweet but idk the first thing about Killifish or these breeds.

Theyre in my 10gal grow out with a good top on it and am slowly acclimating them by drip/temp. in their bag.

Any advice would be great, ive looked online a bit but the info is all sparce.

Ph 6.4
Kh 5-6?
Gh 4
75deg

(The water they came in has a 6.5ph)

Hello,
First off that was a nice gesture. Secondly, make sure you do not have larger hungry fish. Thirdly, (wow so many numbers, lol) the Norman's ahould have a fe more fish friends. And fourthly, (is that really a word?!) Check out AKA.org (oops they are having a website update) so
https://www.facebook.com/gsas.org/

Rocket Killi stay very small and will hunt d=for little shrimplets and other micro treats if available. Wild caught will want more live food, frozen food. Do you know or can check with the store if WC or tank bred?

The Rocket Killi would have chance of babies with mate ideally and do not need much room, but somewhat specific parameters.
The Clown of Killies: Epiplatys annulatus | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

I struggled to get my rocket panchax to eat despite them apparently not being wild caught. If I drop finely crumbled flake in slowly sometimes they will go for it (they are surface feeders and usually strike at small insects landing on the water like river trout :D) but usually i have to feed them live fruit flies and similar :facepalm: if it sinks they ignore it :banghead:

that being said i love them they are beautiful and really interesting to observe :D

I am interested in the Killifish but have not plucked up courage to have a go, would love to start with some eggs first.
I would love to know how you get on.
Can you put different ones in the same tank?

I have 3 different types in the same tank now but they are still quite young.
I havent had a go at eggs yet but im very interested.

They seem to be getting on quite well. Definitely cover yer tank though, no gaps.
From what i hear they like to jump a lot

Well its blown up and ive got 5 species in different tanks.
N. Lampeye
Gardeneri
Golden Australe
Rocket Panchax
Lagos Red

Back
Top Bottom