Sick Sterbai Corydora - Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raefen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I’ve been having a hard time treating two of my Sterbai Cories over the past month. They’ve developed a grey-ish film on their bodies and I’m not sure what it is or how to go about treating them.

Tank Size: 40 Gallons - Set up for 6 months, Planted w/ Sand and Small Gravel substrate. Tank is kept at 24 degrees Celsius.

Tank Parameters:
GH 120ppm
KH 120ppm
pH 8.0 (Very hard water where I live - this hasn’t changed at all since tank set up)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
I don’t have a read on ammonia levels - I’m using API 5 in 1 Test Strips

Filter: AquaClear 70 (300 gph)

Tank Mates: 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Male Guppies, 2 Male Blackfire Endlers, 4 Sterbai Corydoras, 3 Amano Shrimp, 2 Cherry Shrimp, and 2 Nerite Snails. (All Mature)

I’ve had my Rasboras and Sterbai Corydoras for about 5 months. The rest have been slowly added in over the last 4 months. All were drip acclimated.

Last water change was May 31st. I do 30% water changes and vacuum the substrate every two weeks.

Whole tank is fed Tropical Supervit Flake Food for Community Tanks. I also occasionally feed Frozen Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms. Cory’s also get shrimp pellets. Diet has stayed the same since I first started this tank.

——————————————————————————————
About a month ago I noticed that three of my Corydora catfish had developed a grey-ish film all over their bodies. They also had ragged fins and generally looked pretty rough. At the time I had a school of 5 Sterbai Cories and decided that I was going to treat all 5 in case it was a fungal infection.

I treated them with a 1/2 dose of Jungle Lifeguard over 3 consecutive days in a 10gal hospital tank. I under treated them because the box cautioned against using it on scaleless fish.

After the 3 days I noticed an improvement on all of my Cories and their torn fins started to heal enough that I felt comfortable enough to place them back in my main tank.

However, about a week ago I noticed three of my newer Cories had started to develop a more severe case of grey-ish film on them than before. I treated them again with a 1/2 dose of Lifeguard but saw no improvements after 3 days.

After giving them a break from medications I treated them with Pimafix for a week. I made sure to follow the instructions to a T but I ended up losing one of the Cories in the process. When he passed his body was completely covered in a white fuzzy film. I also did a large water change during this time (almost 70%); making sure to get every square inch of the tank in case there was a fungus spore somewhere that my Cories were getting into.

I’m currently at a loss on how to treat my other 2 Cories. They both have a grey-ish film over their bodies and the one Cory has swollen lips. Both are still active and are eating for me. All of my other fish are healthy and still have appetites with no visual illnesses.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I have no clue how to treat this.

Also, sorry for the bad pictures! These guys are terrified of me and won’t stay still for a picture.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 7E4A0D9C-9319-443D-B717-EA3437EED562.jpg
    7E4A0D9C-9319-443D-B717-EA3437EED562.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 71668F53-671E-4BAA-A6B2-54AF4F711370.jpg
    71668F53-671E-4BAA-A6B2-54AF4F711370.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 41
The tap water i use (Florida) is super hard as well, i would tell you to use the conditioner differently.
Same thing was happening with other fish of mine and they are suddenly okay after i starting more conditioner and waiting 30 minutea before adding the water to the tank
Idk if will help you
Good luck

Thanks fishingBuds! I’ll definitely try that! I’m just worried because only 2 of my 4 Cories are like this - maybe they’re just more sensitive than the others?

Unfortunately I had another cory pass away today :( I decided to place them back in quarantine last week so I could monitor how much they were eating and to make sure their water stayed 100% while they were recovering but I guess that wasn’t enough. My last little guy is still in quarantine but I decided to add some Melafix just incase this is actually a bacterial infection.

High ph, did u cycled the tank? That could be the issue, melafix should work for you

The tap water in my area has really high pH and it hasn’t changed at all for as long as I can remember. I cycled the tank for a month and a bit before adding any fish. My two older Sterbai Cories are perfectly fine. I’ve noticed some improvement on my last sick Cory, although he still seems to have some film left on him.

Okay, keep up the good effort, if u have trouble with algae in your tank tey buying anacharis plant, they can grow easily just floating around or in the substrate, but if you have strong light and leave it floating, it will actually increase the amount of algae in the plant and it will die. So it can either help or harm your tank.

Also, for the ph, you can buy some Indian almond leaves and drown them into the tank, some cory species lives in places with leaf littering and they will appreciate a healthy environment addition.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom