NEWBIE!!! Assistance Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie21x

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day to all!
I have been reading almost all threads as an outsider. Now I am registered since a 29 Gallon tank (30 x 12 x 18 1/2) fell into my lap.

Right now, I am just buying the things I need for my tank.( I just got the tank and river rocks)

Doing research I came up with this lineup for my tank :

7 - Rummy Nose Tetra
6+ - Black Neon Tetra
1 - Betta
8 - Panda Cory Catfish
10 - Red Cherry Shrimp
2 - Tiger Snails

I wanted to put in the Rainbow Shark but read somewhere they eat shrimp. But on threads on this site I read people have them living in good harmony.
Also, are R. Shark compatible with Cory Catfish?

Any Suggestions,Tips,Advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: HN1
Sounds like kinda a lot of fish. A red tailed shark will get too big for a 29. They need a 55g minimum.

I read that too Aces11, The reason its not in my lineup, BUT I do read that people got 1 in a 29 gallon successfully...
But besides that, is my lineup decent? I got bottom/mid/top dwellers,
Is the schools a little to big? I will like to have 2 schools on the top/mid of the tank. with the Cory's and shrimp at the bottom!

I like the lineup. I've kept a rainbow shark for all its life in a 29G, they are fine if stocked appropriately. Red Tail sharks, I wouldn't keep in anything under a 40B. They look a lot alike, but they are different fish and behave differently. For your tank, I'd suggest skipping the RBS since you have the cories. If you like the "shark" look, check out SAEs down the road once the tank is well settled. I'd also probably suggest sticking to one species of schooler, but those 2 species would likely be just fine.

Bravo on researching first. This is a refreshing thread! :)

I would stick with one school also. With the betta, it totally depends on the individual's personality. Some are totally fine in communities, others have to be kept solitary. The cories and shrimp should be fine since shrimp have almost no bioload.

7 - Rummy Nose Tetra
6+ - Black Neon Tetra
1 - Betta
8 - Panda Cory Catfish
10 - Red Cherry Shrimp
2 - Tiger Snails

I wanted to put in the Rainbow Shark but read somewhere they eat shrimp.

Having had a shark, I can honestly say that they require 75 gallons or more, not 55. Plus, it's never a good idea to put a shark, or any fish really, into a tank that will not be suitable for them at their adult size. As the sharks mature, so does their aggression level. Mine ended up eating all of my danios. I rehomed him to someone with 125 gallon tank.

Rummies are very sensitive and require established tanks, I'd say 6 months or older.

Bettas, in my opinion and experience, are not community fish. If you do decide to try it, you MUST have a cycled backup tank ready to put the fish into if (or when) it doesn't work.

Rainbow Sharks (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) and Red tail sharks (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor) behave differently and have different needs. I know this is off topic for this thread, but I feel that it is important to point out. Dependent upon choices of tankmates, a Rainbow shark can be fine in a 30" long tank, with a 36" being better. A 48" tank is needed for a Redtail shark. Added footprint is always a good thing for them.

I agree on the rummies. Also source is important with them. Captive bred are considerably hardier than the wild caught.

Bettas are individuals. I've seen male and females across the spectrum of passive and peaceful with everything to blood thirsty killing machines. Also, let's not condemn an entire genus of fish based on the hybridized "splendens" that is commonly sold. Some of the wild type bettas are good in pairs, trios, and more and behave quite differently from the bettas that most people think of. Just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom