newbie to everything....75 fw partly cycled with fish in not sure what to do .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to all so please forgive typing ,spelling,and ignorance in fish keeping.I need some advice. I have 75 fw tank with fish in and here are my readings-ammonia 1.5 ,PH 7.6, no2 0,no3 15,AK 140,HD 100. I have been trying to cycle my tank for several weeks. I have lost several fish and have started doing daily water changes of 50% out of desperation.I'm not sure how much information to give so maybe you could ask me questions?

gak said:
I am new to all so please forgive typing ,spelling,and ignorance in fish keeping.I need some advice. I have 75 fw tank with fish in and here are my readings-ammonia 1.5 ,PH 7.6, no2 0,no3 15,AK 140,HD 100. I have been trying to cycle my tank for several weeks. I have lost several fish and have started doing daily water changes of 50% out of desperation.I'm not sure how much information to give so maybe you could ask me questions?

Hi. What's you nitrite and nitrate? Are you using an API liquid test kit or strips ? What's the stock in your tank?

gak said:

I see your doing a fish in cycle. I've done plenty of fish in cycles so they can be done. You need to get a liquid API master test kit. And you need to test everyday and do water changes everyday. Also test you tap water to rule out anything coming from your own water source.

A fish in cycle can be very stressful on a fish, so you have to be up on your water changes. I was doing up to 2-3 water changes a day!

What size tank do you and what is your live stock? Also what type of filtration are you using. I always recommend over filtering a tank so I'm curious what your setup is like.

Also are you using something to remove choline? Something like Prime, Amquel Plus?

Here's a good read

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply everyone. Yes I am using the API master test kit. My readings after a 50% water change were ammonia .50 down from 1.5 this am. Ph 7.6 KH 5 drops NO2 0 NO3 15 AK 140 HD100.The stock is...6 blood parrots 3", 1 tiger barb 2", 6 silver tetras 1", 2 kissing gruimius 2.5", 7 red and black tetras 1.5", 6 platies 1", 3 angels dime size, 3 silver with red eyes and black and white tails 2", 3 cory cats 1". My tank is 75 gallons we have Fluval 404 and a 405 and a Marineland C 360 (from a 75 gl tank we just bought on craigs list from a cycled tank) I know this is overkill but until we get the other tank set up we put all 3 on. When I do water changes I have been using Novaqua plus and Ammo lock.I hope my fish can make it through my learning curve.Thanks for any ideas!

Back
Top Bottom