newbie with rescue goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inkypinkyinNC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody!

This is my very first post on this forum. We "inherited" some goldfish from my sister last summer. Five medium-size fishes in a 10 gallon tank--ooh! I know, it was horrible. :( She wasn't even changing the water, just topping up and cleaning the filtering unit. So we got a larger tank for them (40 gallon) and I'm trying to do the right thing by these fish. They are really a lot of fun to watch. I am checking the parameters and giving it a 25-30% water change every week to ten days.

Back when they were still in the 10 gallon tank I did regular 50% water changes because I knew the system was overloaded. And I know that this tank is still too small for the long term, they need 10-20 gallons EACH to get big in (three commons and two fancies may need 3x20 + 2x10 = 80 gallons!) But we researched and discussed our choices and this 40 gallon what is working best for us right now. After they get much bigger we will probably be looking at donating them to someone with a pond and trying some other fish. Right now I am just keeping tabs on the parameters and reassuring myself that AT LEAST they are not crammed into that tiny little tank any more!!

My questions are about pH and the scale burns. For some reason even though I've got the nitrates and ammonia levels within a decent range (nitrates 5-20ppm and ammonia 0.25% and nitrites zero) the pH seems to be staying around 6.4 which is too acidic especially for goldfish. I think they like it around 7.5, right? Is there some explanation for this? There are no real plants nor driftwood nor seashells in the tank. Would you recommend simply a product to bring the pH up for them, or do I need to be doing something different in my maintenance?

Secondly, they unfortunately all have scale burns from the sky high ammonia levels in the old tank. Is there anything I can do to help promote healing? There's the water conditioner I use with the water changes which is supposed to be good for their slime coat, could I simply double the amount I use, or is it better to get a product specifically for that, or feed them a particular food, or what? I appreciate any recommendations.

We are quite fond of our fish! (y)

Welcome to AA. Moving this to the FW general discussion. You`ll get more answers there.

inkypinkyinNC said:
Hi everybody!

This is my very first post on this forum. We "inherited" some goldfish from my sister last summer. Five medium-size fishes in a 10 gallon tank--ooh! I know, it was horrible. :( She wasn't even changing the water, just topping up and cleaning the filtering unit. So we got a larger tank for them (40 gallon) and I'm trying to do the right thing by these fish. They are really a lot of fun to watch. I am checking the parameters and giving it a 25-30% water change every week to ten days.

Back when they were still in the 10 gallon tank I did regular 50% water changes because I knew the system was overloaded. And I know that this tank is still too small for the long term, they need 10-20 gallons EACH to get big in (three commons and two fancies may need 3x20 + 2x10 = 80 gallons!) But we researched and discussed our choices and this 40 gallon what is working best for us right now. After they get much bigger we will probably be looking at donating them to someone with a pond and trying some other fish. Right now I am just keeping tabs on the parameters and reassuring myself that AT LEAST they are not crammed into that tiny little tank any more!!

My questions are about pH and the scale burns. For some reason even though I've got the nitrates and ammonia levels within a decent range (nitrates 5-20ppm and ammonia 0.25% and nitrites zero) the pH seems to be staying around 6.4 which is too acidic especially for goldfish. I think they like it around 7.5, right? Is there some explanation for this? There are no real plants nor driftwood nor seashells in the tank. Would you recommend simply a product to bring the pH up for them, or do I need to be doing something different in my maintenance?

Secondly, they unfortunately all have scale burns from the sky high ammonia levels in the old tank. Is there anything I can do to help promote healing? There's the water conditioner I use with the water changes which is supposed to be good for their slime coat, could I simply double the amount I use, or is it better to get a product specifically for that, or feed them a particular food, or what? I appreciate any recommendations.

We are quite fond of our fish! (y)

+1 on the rescue and welcome aboard :D.

You're right that the 40 is a bit small, but if you have the breeder model (wide body), that's an excellent tank and depening on their age it will work for a short time.

What kind of filtration do you have on it? If it's a HOB (hang on back) I'd suggest getting a second one since goldie are very dirty. The rule of thumb is 20g for the first and 10g for each additional goldie, but commons are better off in a pond setting.

Your water parameters are actually right on and don't worry about the nitrates (no3) they're just right and if you get smoe Anacharis and just float or let the lead weights sink it, the goldies will love you for it since it's their favorite greens. The pH is a bigger concern though and that's something that can be fixted with sea shells or a product that will lock it in at 7.0. Others will have better suggestions though, so give it time.

Oh good, I'm glad the parameters are right! (y)

Our tank is 36" wide by 12" deep by 20+" tall....they seem to like the extra length cuz they can really zip back and forth in it! We have (had) two of the HOB (thank you for telling me what that meant, I need all the help I can get!:D) units type 2 which are supposedly good for 40 gallons each, and then they say to double the filtration power for goldies so we were right on target with that setup...and then one of our filter motors went kaput. :sad: I'm planning to add the smaller filter from the 10 gallon tank soon to augment the filtration, it will be on the low side with that but I'll keep checking the parameters and doing the water changes.

hm, I actually have a nice piece of coral and plenty of seashells. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

inkypinkyinNC said:
Oh good, I'm glad the parameters are right! (y)

Our tank is 36" wide by 12" deep by 20+" tall....they seem to like the extra length cuz they can really zip back and forth in it! We have (had) two of the HOB (thank you for telling me what that meant, I need all the help I can get!:D) units type 2 which are supposedly good for 40 gallons each, and then they say to double the filtration power for goldies so we were right on target with that setup...and then one of our filter motors went kaput. :sad: I'm planning to add the smaller filter from the 10 gallon tank soon to augment the filtration, it will be on the low side with that but I'll keep checking the parameters and doing the water changes.

hm, I actually have a nice piece of coral and plenty of seashells. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're doing good by them and if they look happy, that's what it's all about IMO. I've heard that seashells will do it but no matter how you raise the pH, do it in small increments and keep it steady so you don't shock the fish.

The more filtration the better and keep in mind that mfg's tend to over rate their filters. I have 3 goldies in a 37g tall and I filter for 100g and there's times when I wonder if that's enough lol.

Sounds like you're doing good by them and if they look happy, that's what it's all about IMO. I've heard that seashells will do it but no matter how you raise the pH, do it in small increments and keep it steady so you don't shock the fish.

Okay. :)

The more filtration the better and keep in mind that mfg's tend to over rate their filters. I have 3 goldies in a 37g tall and I filter for 100g and there's times when I wonder if that's enough lol.

Lol!

Back
Top Bottom