Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrate Removal Media (high nitrates in tap)

Hey everyone! Itís been a LONG time since I posted. Not sure if any of my old friends are still around

I recently set up a 20 long housing 10 Harlequin Rasboras and a snail. The problem is the nitrAtes from my tap are 30-40ppm... so PWCs donít remove as much as Iíd like. Iím looking to add a small school of Panda Corys which I understand are extremely sensitive to nitrAte.

Iíd like to keep it as simple as possible so donít want to go with a heavily planted tank, and am curious if anyone has used products like De*nitrate from Seachem or API Nitra-zorb. Iím currently running an AQ 50.

As a side-note, my tap water is also crazy high in ammonia and nitrIte, but luckily my bio filter handles this with no problem... but that also leads to increased NO3. I definitely donít want to use RO water.

Thanks!

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have tried API Nitra zorb and had success. De-nitrate does nothing as proven on the web.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrate Removal Media (high nitrates in tap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
I have tried API Nitra zorb and had success. De-nitrate does nothing as proven on the web.

Thanks for the input. Im only seeing it in fairly large cartridges so may need to cut it down into a media pouch to fit as much as possible in the AquaClear. Will give it a try. Much appreciated.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Iíve used api as well and all fine.

De-nitrate systems have been set up in a few threads here. A search might find them. Iíve never done. Itís seems possible but tinkering involved.

From memory people have also used hanging plant baskets(?) above tanks and plants have roots in water. These look pretty simple once set up and chew through nitrates reportedly however Iíve also never done.

Else Iíd still be tempted in trying low light plants or val or maybe floating duckweed.

These days for CO2 injection I run a ph probe and simply dry-dose all ferts into water column. Only extra is bit of glut and Seachem flourish advance which has made a difference on plant growth / new plants (but Iíve found can trigger algae as well). So also simple once setup.

A few options.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would this work in Fluval C4?

Quote:
On Chewy.com it says this is for canister filters. Any reason this would not work in a Fluval C4 Chemical Media Holder that they say to use charcoal in ... (Currently I run Purigen in there)? Thanks
Old 07-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
On Chewy.com it says this is for canister filters. Any reason this would not work in a Fluval C4 Chemical Media Holder that they say to use charcoal in ... (Currently I run Purigen in there)? Thanks
You can just cut in open and put it in another FINE mesh bag just fine. Just make sure it does not come out of the bag. Follow the instructions on recharge. Works great.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
You can just cut in open and put in in another FINE mesh bag just fine. Just make sure it does not come out of the bag. Follow the instructions on recharge. Works great.
thanks for the great advice
Old 07-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
thanks for the great advice
Hint, get two fine mesh bags and just swap them around while one recharges...

Tags
ate, high nitrate, high nitrates, media, nitrate, nitrates, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com