Nitrate Removal Media (high nitrates in tap)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! It’s been a LONG time since I posted. Not sure if any of my old friends are still around [emoji846]

I recently set up a 20 long housing 10 Harlequin Rasboras and a snail. The problem is the nitrAtes from my tap are 30-40ppm... so PWCs don’t remove as much as I’d like. I’m looking to add a small school of Panda Corys which I understand are extremely sensitive to nitrAte.

I’d like to keep it as simple as possible so don’t want to go with a heavily planted tank, and am curious if anyone has used products like De*nitrate from Seachem or API Nitra-zorb. I’m currently running an AQ 50.

As a side-note, my tap water is also crazy high in ammonia and nitrIte, but luckily my bio filter handles this with no problem... but that also leads to increased NO3. I definitely don’t want to use RO water.

Thanks!

I have tried API Nitra zorb and had success. De-nitrate does nothing as proven on the web.

I have tried API Nitra zorb and had success. De-nitrate does nothing as proven on the web.

Thanks for the input. Im only seeing it in fairly large cartridges so may need to cut it down into a media pouch to fit as much as possible in the AquaClear. Will give it a try. Much appreciated.

I’ve used api as well and all fine.

De-nitrate systems have been set up in a few threads here. A search might find them. I’ve never done. It’s seems possible but tinkering involved.

From memory people have also used hanging plant baskets(?) above tanks and plants have roots in water. These look pretty simple once set up and chew through nitrates reportedly however I’ve also never done.

Else I’d still be tempted in trying low light plants or val or maybe floating duckweed.

These days for CO2 injection I run a ph probe and simply dry-dose all ferts into water column. Only extra is bit of glut and Seachem flourish advance which has made a difference on plant growth / new plants (but I’ve found can trigger algae as well). So also simple once setup.

A few options.

Would this work in Fluval C4?

On Chewy.com it says this is for canister filters. Any reason this would not work in a Fluval C4 Chemical Media Holder that they say to use charcoal in ... (Currently I run Purigen in there)? Thanks

On Chewy.com it says this is for canister filters. Any reason this would not work in a Fluval C4 Chemical Media Holder that they say to use charcoal in ... (Currently I run Purigen in there)? Thanks
You can just cut in open and put it in another FINE mesh bag just fine. Just make sure it does not come out of the bag. Follow the instructions on recharge. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom