Nitrates...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I’ve had my aquarium for about eight months now so I’m assuming it’s been established and cycled. In the beginning I used to use the API test kit more frequently but as time went on and the levels stayed stable I started doing it every month or two. Yesterday I did a water change and today I tested the water. Ammonia and nitrites came back fine but frustratingly, after only one day, the nitrates are close to, if not at, 40 ppm. I decided to test my tap water too and it turns out the nitrates in it are not as high as what was in the aquarium but at least 20-35 ppm. I’m at a loss now for what to do, normally I would probably just do another water change but I feel like that defeats the purpose when the water source I have been using is already relatively high in nitrates. Any suggestions? (And also, will my fish be ok? She’s a female betta and is acting normal as if today)

You could use something like Seachem Purigen to help remove nitrates. Starting with 20-35 nitrates seems pretty high to me.

That level of nitrates isn't exactly dangerous to the betta, but it isn't really ideal in my opinion. Many people believe that levels under 40 ppm are safe. Some believe that only 0 is safe.

Plants or mosses will use up some of the nitrates in your water, depending on how heavily you go they can keep the nitrates on the low end by themselves!

You could also buy water. Most grocery stores around my area usually have a RODI water filling station, you can get a gallon for like 30 cents!

Hello Madi...

The weekly water change will take care of most, if not all tank problems. If you have a small tank, under 30 gallons, then remove and replace half the tank water a couple of times a week. Larger tanks, 30 gallons and larger just need a 50 percent water change performed weekly. Do this religiously and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

Hello Madi...

Nitrate levels have to be much higher, in the 80 to 100 ppm range and remain there for several days before the fish would be affected. At this point, they'd be less active and their reproduction would be negatively affected. It wouldn't be fatal or anything. Just gradually increase the amount of water you change out. I change out at least half or more weekly in my tanks. The simple large, weekly water change will guarantee a stable and healthy water chemistry. This is all the fish require for good, sustained health.

B

50% weekly water changes, good cleaning maintenance, and don't overfeed or overstock your tank with fish and it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom