Nitrates Are Increasing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Nitrates were holding steady at around 20 ppm for about six weeks. I had some driftwood (purchased at my LFS) in the tank but decided to remove it because I didn't like the tea colored water. Soon after I removed the driftwood I began noticing my Nitrates increasing. They have been holding steady at 40 ppm for about the last week or so. I do water changes (about 20 - 25%) every 2 to 3 days. My fish appear very healthy and happy.

Ammonia= 0.0
pH= 7.8 (Never changes)
Nitrites= <=.25
Temp= 74.0 - 77.0

Tank information:

- 28 gallon bow front
- Two AquaClear 50 filters
- UV sterilizer
- 3 Serpae Tetra's
- 3 Lemon Tetra's
- 3 Diamond Tetra's
- 3 Rosy Barbs
- 3 Gold Barbs (Also known as Calico Barbs according to the LFS)
- 2 Zebra Danio's
- 2 Corey Catfish

Questions:

1) Is 40 ppm Nitrates too high? My tap water also tested high for Nitrates but not 40 ppm. It was about 20 - 25 ppm.

2) What can I do to lower the Nitrates?

Thanks,

Mike

40 ppm i a little high for nitrates yes but the fish you have should be okay at 50 as long as its not for too long. To lower the nitates you need to do pwc. I recomend that with your high nitrates you do one 50% water change a week. As for why they rose my guess is that your fish are getting bigger therefore eating more theefore they are producing more waste so your nitrates will climb. Another thing you could do to lower or possibly even eliminate you nitrates would be to add live plants. A couple anuabis will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom